Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Is there an X-Warranty for collapsed valve lifters on MX6/LS?

• vB code

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [IMG]

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My (not Mazda) mechanic says I have a collapsed lifter and that Mazda is repairing these under a special warranty extension in some cars. Can anyone confirm or provide info about this. I don't
trust my Mazda dealer to tell me everything so I'd really appreciate some background before presenting my problem to them. I drive a 93/LS.

Also I am driving to the east coast in two weeks and wonder if the above problem will hurt my engine. It is a 4,000 Km round trip. Thanks for your help.
Wchypu :confused:

·
Registered
511 Posts
try posting on probetalk.com, as i've never heard of a collasped lifter. you might get a better response over there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
collapsed lifter?

I have a 93 Mazda LS as well and I to didn't trust any dealers until I met this one guy who I only take my car to now. I posted a whole explanation of why I trust this guy. Just do a search for all my posts and read what I wrote!!
His number and address is there as well.

In case you want the number now, I'll save you the trouble.

Reliable Proffessional Mechanics (R.P.M)
(905) 851-RPM2
(905) 851-7762

Give him a call and judge for yourself tell him Joe referred you!

Ps. By the way I talked to Manny at RPM and he said that it is probably not a noisy valve lifter, If the sound is coming from the rear it might actaully have something to do with a timing belt tensioner. I would call him because if you planning a long trip you better make sure the timing belt is correct!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
NONONO

Its your friction gear spring that causes that loud noise from the rear banks 90% of the time

·
Registered
242 Posts
You are coming to the East Coast? Where exactly are you going??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The noise, I believe is in the front bank and my trip to the coast will see me mostly in Saint John, Halifax and the Kentville/ Aldershot area.
Thanks for the info.
Wchypu

·
Registered
242 Posts
Cool, I live 1 hour from Halifax and I spend my weekends in Moncton wich is 1.5 hours from Saint John!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re: noisy lifter(s)

After, speaking to R.P.M., I have decided to change oils, Mobil 1
was not recommended and Redline not available, I will try the Valvoline which apparently is as close to pure as you can get.
Amsoil was not recommended for this purpose (unsticking lifters)by two dealers. One was the Amsoil rep himself. He suggested
CastrolSyntec for lifters citing success in a Mazda of all things. I had not told him for what vehicle I was inquiring.
Any comments??

·
Registered
52 Posts
Synthetic Oil

I am currently using Mobil 1 (which is not 100% synthetic) but I am most likely going to convert to Amsoil which I hear is the best one to get for synthetics, if you ever saw the chart that has all the oils listed and the wear that is still caused on the engine, AMSOIL was the one with the least wear and tear and second one is Mobil 1. Another pure synthetic is REDLINE but i think I will stick with AMSOIL.

As for that rep telling you castrol syntec is the best for a mazda, you can be your own judge but I wouldn't touch that crap!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Re: Synthetic Oil

AMX62NV said:
I am currently using Mobil 1 (which is not 100% synthetic) but I am most likely going to convert to Amsoil which I hear is the best one to get for synthetics, if you ever saw the chart that has all the oils listed and the wear that is still caused on the engine, AMSOIL was the one with the least wear and tear and second one is Mobil 1. Another pure synthetic is REDLINE but i think I will stick with AMSOIL.

As for that rep telling you castrol syntec is the best for a mazda, you can be your own judge but I wouldn't touch that crap!!
huh? Mobil1 is fully synthetic. directly from their website:
The Mobil 1 Tri-Synthetic Series motor oils are manufactured from 100% synthetic base stocks. These include polyalphaolefins (PAO) and two other Mobil synthetic fluids which make up the Tri-Synthetic formula. These synthetic base fluids are pure chemicals which do not contain the impurities or waxes inherent in conventional mineral oils.
sure, there is a TINY TINY amount of mineral "carrier" oil (in all synth oils mind you) that suspend the detergents and other additives but overall that doesn't mean the oil isn't 100% synthetic.

AmsOil is great stuff but hard to get and expensive. i've not heard anyone complain about Mobil1 yet. Syntec is a bit of a mystery to me. everybody seems to complain about it, yet it comes at standard fill in the BMW's M series cars, and the M3 and 5 have hand-built engines therefore (perhaps) tolerances aren't as exact as, say, a KL-03 :) ?

read up on this stuff before you switch, testimonals like the ones you read here and on ProbeTalk are a good thing but make sure you qualify statements like "which is not 100% synthetic" before you make a choice.

you'll also find that most MX-6 owners who are running synthetic are running Mobil1.

cheers,

·
Registered
52 Posts
Let me just start by saying I never said Mobil 1 was a bad product!! I wouldn't be using it in my car if it was, all I am trying to say is that from what I have been told from reps and mechanics that it wasn't FULLY 100%...like the quote said it was made from SYNTHETIC BASE STOCKS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
AMX62NV said:
Let me just start by saying I never said Mobil 1 was a bad product!! I wouldn't be using it in my car if it was, all I am trying to say is that from what I have been told from reps and mechanics that it wasn't FULLY 100%...like the quote said it was made from SYNTHETIC BASE STOCKS.
and i never said that you said it was a bad product. however, my point was that Mobil1 is as synthetic as the rest of them; Syntec, Amsoil, RedLine, etc... right, "synthetic base stocks", nowhere does it say they use anything else... that would be misrepresentation of the product.

http://www.mobil1.com/products/trisynth/faq.jsp#faq1

"fully synthetic motor oil"

cheers,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts