Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took an hour today and polished the headlights on my Cherokee. Took the crud down with dry 800, then wetsanded with 1500 till they were smooth, but still foggy. Then I hit it with the bench buffer and some white compund, final polish with a clean buffing wheel.

Before. You can't really tell, but the lenses were actually a yellowish colour.

After sanding,

After polishing and final buff, and about 45 minutes later.

They're not perfect, but they look pretty fuggin good compared to where I started. If I get some free time in the next little while I'll sand out the rest of the fines scratches and buff it down with some rouge.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I clean headlights on the side as extra money. It works out very well for me. You did very well on those lights.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I've been meaning to do it since I bought the damn thing. I was driving home from my buddies house the other night and there was a bit of fog. That was enough for me. I figured it would take a long time but I could likely knock both sides off in a half an hour now that I have the routine down. The bench buffer makes it go by pretty quick and plastic sands down easily.

I clean headlights on the side as extra money. It works out very well for me. You did very well on those lights.
Thanks man. I was actually thinking about doing it on the side. It's pretty easy, but not something the average joe would bother tackling. What do you charge for a set of headlights?

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a plan. I already do some car work on the side, wouldn't hurt to add this to the list.

·
Premium Member
11,480 Posts
I polished my dads contour 2000 headlights because I had to borrow that POShit while I had the MS6 in the shop getting fixed.

Nice work :tup:

·
Premium Member
6,941 Posts
I need to do that to my girlfriends GC, my headlights look brand new, but the ones on hers that are 4 years newer look like shit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts