Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
89 Turbo questions

Hey all-

I just aquired an 89 Gt, black, immaculate with 132,000 well maintained miles.

I am 30 years old and a car enthusiast, and the MX-6 GT has always been on my list as one of the "must own" vehicles.

I scoffed this one up for 1200.00 and it is Stone Stock and Solid. It needs a few minor things, like sway bar bushings and end links, a valve cover gasket, and it has a little oil leak externally around the turbo...but it doesnt smoke and the turbo shaft feels pretty good for a 100K turbo.

anyway- i love the car and it will be a great commuter, but as with any gear-head- stock is bad.

Of course a Boost controller is in order, once all the leaks are taken care of- and the boost gauge from the mustang has already found it's way into the MX-6 - what is the safe max PSI on stock fuel rails and timing? since it spikes abut 9 and levels off arond 7- i was thinking that maybe 10 PSI max before i swap in a 225 LPH pump.

oh- and another question- the Radio. is there a Late model CD head unit (mazda) that you have swapped into the car and it looked factory? Like A Miata radio or something?

Thanks for the help and i will be around!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Max PSI's you can run on an all stock ECU and fuel system, is 12psi's the ECU will cut the fuel at any higher levels of boost, so if your going to set the boost at 11.5psi's then make sure there is no spike, as the boost cut will get annoying if you spike to 12psi's.
If you buy a ECU chip, either Adam's chip, or ZombieSS's chip, you can run higher boost. Both ZombieSS's chip and Adam's chip are designed to remove boost cut and remapps the fuel to run a max of 15psi's on the stock fuel pump, fuel rail, injectors, ect..
So basicly what im saying is you can run a max of 15psi's with just a ECU chip..thats it. However most people upgrade to a 190lph fuel pump. Don't bother with the 255lph as its just too much and causes the car to run rich off boost. which causes problems like rough idle, loss of power when off boost ect. Basicly any mx-6 turbo owner who buys a 255lph fuel pump usually gets a rising rate FPR to aid in controlling the fuel to elimate the rich condition when off boost but its pointless waste of money since the 190lph does the job just fine and there is no need for a rising rate FPR with a 190lph. As a matter of fact the stock fuel pump does just fine for up to 15psi's as long as you have your ECU mapped for it, like a Zombie chip for example.

hope this helps a bit...its amazing home much boost the stock mx-6 GT block can handle.

methman

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
aggiedj02 said:
GOOD GOD what have you done to the Fox Body?!!!
Thanks guys..

Aggied? What? LOL u dont like or are you asking?

Nothing is stock. Nada. that car is a project i started in 96.

it is apart again... twin turbo's and a new block.

Thanks for the help Meth.

·
Premium Member
4,973 Posts
um... on the CD... if there is a seperate radio, tape deck and CD player, and they all look the same, that's stock. The CD player you have is rare. If you don't want it, sell it to some one here and they will be very happy. Also there is a sub under the passenger seat.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
SteedaJeff said:
Thanks guys..

Aggied? What? LOL u dont like or are you asking?

Nothing is stock. Nada. that car is a project i started in 96.

it is apart again... twin turbo's and a new block.

Thanks for the help Meth.
are you kidding me? I love it!!! Did you not see what I drive? I'm just jealous!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts