Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Temp guage. normally needle is a bit to the left of the little symbol. weather gets hotter and i drive a bit harder or stopped at a light for a while
the needle jumps to a little after the symbol. What is a normal position for the needle to be at. should i worry?

Changed the thermostat and added water wetter when i changed the Coolant. Another question when i drained the coolant out of her the coolant in the resevoir never came out?
93 5 speed @ 80,000 miles

·
Registered
45 Posts
Mine is dead centre and rarely moves at all.

PeMiL

·
Smot-Poker
1,499 Posts
yup

Twas bad... it was leaking and causing my car to over heat like crazy.... for about a week i was going through a liter of coolant a day, just to keep it from burning up till I got it fixed...

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Mine is just left of the symbol and never moves even when stationary.

·
Registered
172 Posts
needle thingy

when my temperature thing went bad i put a 160 in there as opposed to the 180 they said to put in there, that way my car runs cooler. i've driven the car for 8 hours straight with that thing in there and it STAYS about 1/8 to the left of the center.

·
Registered
172 Posts
needle pos.

i don't remember too much about it all because it happened like a year ago but... my thermostat went bad and so i went to autozone and they told me to get a 180 degree(i think its degrees i don't remember what the number stands for exactly so don't hold me to it) thermostat. instead i got a 160 thermo. so it would keep the engine cooler. for a brand new car you usually put a higher rated thermostat in there because you want your car running hotter, its just better for new cars. however mine is 6 years old now and i don't want it running too hot. i got it at autozone, i think there's a thermostat section in there. take yours out then have a friend drive you up there and get one that looks closest to the size of the one you have. you'll also have to buy a gasket seal for it btw...really cheap. gasket=$1 and the thermostat was like MAYBE $10, i think cheaper.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
For what it's worth, a thermostat rating basically gives you the minimum coolant temperature (the temperature at which the spring is fully open). Chances are you'll only notice a difference when it's cool outside or when you're on the highway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts