Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
if your motor is in good solid shape, i would run no more than a 50 shotin stock form. you would need to beef up the motor for any higher. but your first priority would be to get the car running in tip top shape. it would cost you anywhere between $500 and a grand i do belive. i may be wrong about that though.

·
Registered
666 Posts
You'd probably wanna replace gaskets, to make sure nothing is gonna blow (like the head gasket). How are your compression numbers? If you're just running a 50 shot or so, you should be fine if the motor is in good shape. Nitrous is safe as long as you are CAREFUL. The reason engines blow on nitrous is because they ran lean. Running lean with nitrous can blow a hole in your cylinder wall. I've seen pictures. To be safe you'd need a nitrous controller, like Jacobs Electronics Nitrous Mastermind, or some such. They sell them in the Summit Racing catalog. Also, you might wanna beef up your injectors and fuel pump to be sure you can handle the fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
You dont need NOS. You have a turbo. NOS is something people generally do when the have a naturally aspirated car and they cant afford a full blown turbo kit. You have all the work done for you. You'd be much better off turning up the boost, getting a chip, maybe then a larger turbo & FMU/Fuel pump. THe possibilities are endless, and I feel would be much more effective and practical (meaning you dont have to constantly bring a bottle in to be filled all the time for $30+ a pop).

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Watch this... buy a boost guage for about $40 from summitracing.com or somewhere. Then go to http://www.dawesdevics.com, but the "super duty boost controller" for $35. Install all of it (should take an hour or so), and set the boost contoller for 12psi. That power increase should keep you satisfied for quite a while.

G

·
Dont forget if you do shoot nos on that 2.2l... NOS carries a pretty good intercooling effect when it is decompressed... So even if you go with a meezly 25 shot, you can probably turn down your boost a bit and still have a nice power increase, but i still wouldn't go DRY,, go with wet,, always give it more fuel.. dont go lean.. then you will burn stuff up...

AND for the guys who have the boost turned up all the way.. i would not shoot any nos until you strenghthen the rods, pistons, and gasgets...cause she may let go on ya'...

i think about 300 crank HP is about the limit on the stock motor.. what do you all think?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts