Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much for NOS and mike94pgt... what type of things do i need to do before I install it b/c i really want it! It's cheaper than a t/c and s/c and less of a hassle. Also, should I ask at pt also? Actually I think I will anyway. THX for any info you can give.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
A fuel pump upgrade is wise. A Walbro 190LPH or even a 255LPH will give you a good safety factor. Replace the fuel filter as well. It might be worthwhile switching to a cooler heat-range spark plug.

After that, there aren't really any upgrades required for low to moderate shots of N2O (in the 50-75HP range.) Just make sure you keep the system (esp. the fuel side) operating properly.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what type of spark plug do you recommend? These plans are for the distance future too, but I want to get started with what I need and the costs too. Thanks though so far.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I heard Nos kills your engine is that true? I also heard it only last for like 60 seconds or something like that. Is that true?

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes it does but not as bad as a s/c and especially not as bad as a t/c. Also, it doesn't cost as much, and can be taken out with the car when you sell it.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
NOS doesn't have to kill an engine. Advanced systems that ramp NOS/fuel delivery make life easier on the engine compared to systems that just open the flood gates and deluge the motor with, say, 75HP worth of NOS all at once. These types of systems also reduce the thermal shock of having nearly supercool NOS run through the hot manifold. Moderate shots on an otherwise healthy motor won't do any damage.

The biggest problems with NOS are two-fold. There are system failures where, say, a fuel relay didn't open causing the motor to lean out. Then there's the guy behind the wheel who gets used to a nice safe 50-shot and installs some 75HP jets to get some more oomph. Then he monkeys a bit more and tries some 100-jets etc. One can exceed the limits of the motor this way. If one puts in 50-hp jets, one should probably stay there.

Then there are legal issues about carrying NOS in the car, the potential dangers of bottle heaters and remote openers etc. Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff for these and other reasons but I totally understand why someone would want to have it.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike are you saying it could explode in the car? I never knew that. Having second thoughts now.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Venom, Zex, and NOS are using different kind of system.
There all do the same trick, supply more oxygen to your engine by using nitrous.

Nitrous = N2 + O , which is 33 % compare to 22 % in atmosphere..( 22 ? not sure :) )

Correct use of nitrous wounldn't do any harm to your engine.

Before using nitrous, you have to:
1. Get a Walbro 190 fuel pump, if you using higher than 45 shot.
2. DO NOT use plantinum spark plugs, only non-plantinum
3. Gap your spark plug to 0.35, cooler plugs will help -> I choose probe spaks plug: NGK BK6ER11
4. Do a compression check before getting Nitrous. Nitrous will kill your engine faster if you have engine problem, example: broken piston ring
5. Stock Clutch is sucks. Prepare to change your clutch anytime soon if you using nitrous.
6. Make sure your fuel side (like Mike said) is working great. Try to get your fuel system clean by using "Fuel System Cleaner". Personally recommend Chevron, Techron. Black bottle, selling 5.99 in Walmart
7. Only pour high octane gasoline. 93+ is recommended. Octane booster is NOT a choice.
8. Always try to use smaller shot first ( smaller jet sets).. and go up all the way to max 75. Our car is not safe for higher than 75 shots
9. DO YOUR HOMEWORK !! I study nitrous for 5 weeks before using it. You should too.

email me [email protected] if you need technical help. I can't guarantee to solve your problem/question, but I will try to help as much as possible. cheers :D

A

·
0 Posts
When you install NOS into your mx6-LS, what kind of "activation device" would you get?....sorry thats so ignorant, but would like some help, thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts