Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I bougth one set Boston RX87.
But when I have installed them rear at the car and turned up my cd-player with a dancenumber, the speakers couldn't have the beat.
My radio has a max. 35w build in amplifier, the speakers has 40w nominal output.
Loudness was turned off, also the bass was set to zero.
Do I realy need more watt or must I do something else?
In my case the Pioneer TS-H683 are a better choice?
They have 50w nominal.
You can find more specifications of them at http://www.pioneer-eur.com/products/car/ts-128en.htm
I hope you can help me but I have no doubt about that. ;)

·
Registered
164 Posts
First off, your Head Unit might say 35w but it is probably closer to about 15ish real watts.

Before you get rid of the Bostons, try feeding a decent power amp to those speakers.. 50wrms should be good enough, if you have more power then go easy to start with..

The problem that you are experiencing is that you are over driving the speakers with and under rated power supply [ your Head Unit]

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So if I buy an amplifier the problem must be solved?
But when I buy an amplifier the signal will be more stronger.
Can the speakers get the bass?
Don't I have to filter out the lower Hz?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Always try before you buy, but I recon that it will solve the problem.

The new amp might be more powerful but it will have a gain setting.

You need to turn your Head Unit to 75% of its max volume with the amp set at zero and then increase the amp gain setting until the speakers just start to distort. Note the Head Unit level and just knock it back a notch, this will be fine for you as many people do not really understand what the gain setting is really for and this is how you maximise it.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply.
I never known how I could use the gain setting.
Do you know a good amplifier or a good brand?
The price I want to spend for an amp is about $350.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There is far too much choice for me to take this one on, also the choice in the UK is not as big as it is in the US, maybe someone else could make a suggestion for you, try a new post.

Glad that I could help you out with the other stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts