Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so my winter beater is a 91 Chrysler New Yorker 5th Ave. luxury baby! i bought it and it had sat forever and wouldn't start, could be jumped but the second you turned it off it was dead again, i put a new battery in it and it was problem solved, has run great for a month or so, well yesterday i left work and the same problem happened, can start with a jump but once you turn it off it's dead, is this the alternator? that is what i figured, but if it was the alternator why did replacing the battery fix it earlier? any ideas, i need this thing working, my six is in the paint shop!

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Alternator, it worked for a month becouse your alternator is still working but is not charging the batter enough. So say if its only charging half of what it should then it will take longer till your battery goes dead. :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
I had a problem like that also, and well its wasn't the alt, look at your batt terminals/wires, make sure they are all cleaned up nice. i couldn't figure it out for the longest time that it was them not conecting right to the batt. posts, they didn't look dirty at all but after the new $1.80 terminal and the 10 min of work she starts everytime, it seemed pretty odd to me also... if its not that then its your alt that starting to go and slowing charge the batt part way like joker said

Reactions: JoKeR6

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
John_Shea said:
I had a problem like that also, and well its wasn't the alt, look at your batt terminals/wires, make sure they are all cleaned up nice. i couldn't figure it out for the longest time that it was them not conecting right to the batt. posts, they didn't look dirty at all but after the new $1.80 terminal and the 10 min of work she starts everytime, it seemed pretty odd to me also... if its not that then its your alt that starting to go and slowing charge the batt part way like joker said
Yea, good point, but almost always if the terminals won't let it get enough charge to charge the battery then it won't have enough to turn it over at all. I have an 85' AMC Eagle station wagon I had to drive around this summer, and I had to change the battery terminals becouse it wouldn't even turn over, is shouldn't be able to pull enough "juice" out of it to turn your car over.

But in eather case I would try to use that battery terminal cleaner if your turminals look good and solid. And if you have the little bit of $ to replace them it will always help and stop one more problem from happening down the road:tup:

·
Registered
947 Posts
It shouldn't cost over 10 bucks for the termianals, and well a monkey could install them for you, so odds are you can also...if you want to get into it really good then get new wires and a grinder, and replace them aswell as grind the rust off where the ground attaches to the body for a nice clean connection.. but i bet ya if its not the alt then all you need is a new terminal

1 - 6 of 6 Posts