Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas, other than internal, on how to fix this? got a lil bit of blue smoke out the muffler. :(

thanx
L8R
Nick

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Under what conditions did you notice the smoke? Cold start (first start of the day...)? Full throttle? Pulling away from a light after idling for a while?

How many miles on the engine? What type & grade of oil are you using?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 102k, it was after sitting in one place for like 30 minutes at idle. i normally dont see it. a friend told me he saw it. i pulled over & looked at the back and saw a little.
i use Mobil 1 5w30.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I think you will have to use a thicker oil.. :(
You must decide how thick you want to go, How bad is it really ??{you will have to make some sort of trade- of}
You can still get a semi synthetic or synthetic fortified thicker oil.
Or perhaps an additive {not for me}

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, this is the first time i noticed any sign of it. i use the 5w30 to prevent HLA noise. i dont normally see any signs of smoke. i think it was only cause i was sitting in one place for like 30 min.

thats a hell of a trade off. i'd rather burn a lil bit than have HLA tapping. but i want my cake & eat it too. any ideas?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
We {in Aus} get a product called “ Fortron Lifter Free” I know I know additives, But this one works. And you can use it, flush it and can maybe go back to useing thicker synthetic oil again…. I don't know if you can get something similar over there? Some products are sh!t but some work asks some one you know and trust not just a sales man!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
BLUMX6 said:
I have 102k, it was after sitting in one place for like 30 minutes at idle. i normally dont see it. a friend told me he saw it. i pulled over & looked at the back and saw a little.
i use Mobil 1 5w30.
What were you doing sitting idle for 30 minutes.? Not good for the engine.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, i recently did a kerosene flush. it made my engine totally silent as far as the HLAs go, and in general. and after the flush i threw in some oil treatment. in case any of that matters.

Mr. MX6:
i never heard of that treatment over here in the states. whats in it? any similar products we may be able to get in the US? who's it made by?

THANKS
L8R
Nick

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
It was months ago that I used it, and have subsequently thrown the bottle in the bin! But the next time I’m in my local car shop I’ll grab a bottle and see is there is any ingredients/content and alike on it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BLUMX6 said:
i use Mobil 1 5w30.
is it possible that you weren't getting any oil circulation around the rings after idling for that period of time and you may have burnt a ring or two... ? :(

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
spish said:

is it possible that you weren't getting any oil circulation around the rings after idling for that period of time and you may have burnt a ring or two... ? :(
huh? how would a half an hour burn rings? i've left it running for hours before.

·
Registered
108 Posts
BLUMX6 said:

huh? how would a half an hour burn rings? i've left it running for hours before.
idling? wow...

actually, this has happend to me before. mind you, not with a 6; my old Supra. oil pump was designed poorly thus oil circulation was abysmal at idle. apparently the oil pump's in the early KL03's were ok, but not great. just an hypothesis.

cheers,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts