Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay well after having a play with my car today with my mates uncle (know's quite a bit about cars) I discovered a few things in regards to my power issues and other probles. Here's a list any help is much appreciated...

1. Is that screw next to the tb boot and idle control screw? We played with it today so I assume so....

2. Where are my timing marks? We had the timing light out looking for the marks and couldnt find them...does anyone know were they sit?

3. Whats the electronic spark plug advance and how to I remove it to adjust timing? (manual says to adjust timing without it being used)

4.After turning down my idle we discovered my car has a miss Ive just replaced leads and spark plugs am I right in saying a plug or lead must be faulty?

5.On my dizzy cap next to the bottom leads is like a lil knob or switch thingy..does this actually do anything?

7. My problems is still occuring with having no power at about 4,550 revs but still running great when the weather is cold. but the car is running better since slightly adjusting the timing and idle and stuff? Does anyone have any more ideas?

8. Which fuel filter am I better off getting the Rodeo one everyone has been talking about or the tx5 one?

9. The screw in the afm...does this effect a/f mixtures and idle or just one or the other??

Big Thanks to all those who can help...

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
1. if were both think about the same screw then yes its the idle air control.

2. they are on the timing cover just about the crank pulley toward the front of the car, its a bitch to see. try removing the splash panel on the driver side to see it better.

3. to adjust the base timing, short the single green connector with the red/white wire next to the passanger strut tower to the cars body, idle should decrease a little soon as you do this.

4. could be timing is way off, could be plug , lead, depends if you've touched these to set gaps etc...

5. that plug is for non turbos, the vacumme advance, the turbo and non turbo use the same dizzy cap.

6. well since no question, sure i'd like a beer.

7. yea ya car is fucked. lol. will edit this later with an idea when i cbf thinking.

8. use the tx5/mx6 one for the moment, least your not causing any issues with using an incorrect filter.

think thats about it.

Reactions: zorb_rules

·
Registered
541 Posts
1) yes.
2) stand facing the front drivers-side wheel, look in engine bay, the harmonic balancer (crank pully) is the bottom 'wheel' its at the edge of this and to the right - do yourself a favour - grab some liquid paper, feel alone the inside edge of the crank whee, at some point you will find a definate 'notch' - its about 2mm semi circle - colour that thin it - its the timining notch! Also, paint the 10deg mark so you can easily reference it while the engine is running!
3) earth the green diagnostic plug
4) misses can be many things - you have covered the basics.
Now replace the dissy cap and rotor! See if that helps.
5) on the J-specs - this is where the flux capacitor connects in. Dont EVER ask your girlfriend to buy one from supercheap - THEY DO NOT FIND THIS ANYWHERE NEAR AS FUNNY AS YOU DO. Seriously tho - I *think* this is a vac point for non-turbos, at the very least its a handy little spot to spray crc in when you flood the dizzy with water after a degreese! The cap serves no funtion other that to keep crap out.
6) umm - use your thumbs net time you count! :p
7) jeez - too many options.. You have mentioned it misses - have you check the coil? Maybe spark is breaking up... Also check that your leads arent earthing on something else. This is a stretch - but MAYBE a leak in the intake - but I doubt. Blocked injector? How long is a piece of string?! Start at the obvious and work through it all systematically - or find a machanic!
8) I am dubious that our have a flow restriction - but have never tested flows with/out it. Keep it stock until you sort out your other issues!
9) IN the AFM (as in under the black cap?) dont f$ck with it - yes it does stuff your AF, and you will be able to overboost and run leaner if its set too high/lean under boost if its set low. Dont play with it! (didnt your mother teach you ANYTHING!)

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks heaps to both or you you've both been very helpful and karma has been given...

Rolli not the screw under the black cap the other one further down from the black cap..usually had like something covering it but mines been like punched out...

Also one last question when we adjusted the idle it sat on about 800rpm give or take a little now this morning when I started the car the idle was up around 1200rpm and didnt reduce until I really went out and gave the car a thrashing...is that just a warm up type thing?

Oh and rolli I know ive been through this a 100 times but with the loss of power thing its weather related i.e when its cold the car runs like a dream as soon as it warms up its farked.. now I've done the obvious...put the airbox back on removed bov checked for vacum leaks etc...and no cigar im thinking something fuel related with the extra heat in the fuel...but not really sure..it pissing me off though...would soemthing liek a spark breaking up be effected by heat etc??

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey rolli I went looking for the timing notch today I found it its like sitting directly on top of the outer edge of the balace facing up if you were looking down on it..is that it?? Its not semi circle in shape (maybe I misunderstood your description) just as small mark..anyhow if that is the mark its a [shizzle]laod out on the timing :) so far that Im suprised it would even run..

I just went out to the car and started it the thign basically died on me rev'd at about 400rpm kept cutting in and out barely running..I gave it a bit of gas and it sorted it self out...any ideas???

·
Registered
559 Posts
nock sensor.
your timing is probably so fucked up that is was nocking.
when it trips the nock sensor, it will advance your timing.
does it still fuck up when you start it?
or is it missing after it "sorted itself out"?

if anything, you should check the crank timing, cam timing, AND harmonic balancer timing.
the harmonic balancer will cause whole shitloads of trouble even if the crank and cam are right.
WHY? i dont have a clue.

have fun screwing with your car....

PEACE

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
MesXco6rt said:
if anything, you should check the crank timing, cam timing, AND harmonic balancer timing.
the harmonic balancer will cause whole [shizzle]loads of trouble even if the crank and cam are right.
WHY? i dont have a clue.

have fun screwing with your car....

PEACE
to check crank timing u have to pulled the harmonic balancer off.

My harmonic balancer had spun on the rubber BUT didnt affect the running of m car anybit, just slight vibration thru the car.

So how can you adjust harmonic balancer timing ? you cant.

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
why would a knock sensor advance the timing, it retards the timing dramataically to stop the knock...

Edited by PeterD: Be nicer in the future or warnings will be used in place of editing...

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sabbai if your gonna be home 2moz (monday) ill bring her round :)

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i read today that the grounding of the diagnostic plug is only for doing the idle adjustment and not for the timing... could someone please fill me in on what's goin on there... this was in the auto tech tune up procedures manual at work... and when the plug is grounded the timing advances... the mechanic at work told me it should retard... dunno if he's right... just saying what he said... any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts