Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone,

I have a 95 LS V6 w/Automatic. Some time ago, I lost the ability to take the car out of overdrive via the O/D button on the shifter.
In other words O/D is constantly on. I have recently moved up into the mountains and this has proven very hard on the tranny shifting in and out of gear on the way up...Anyone know if it is just a bad switch or where I should start looking. Any consideration on this matter will be greatly appreciated....Thanks.

M xTc

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Does the "HOLD" light go on when you press this button? You could have a faulty switch. Get a multimeter and test the switch.

You can always just down shift to "2" on the gear box. It will give the same effect as "HOLD".

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually there is no "hold" light....it is an O/D light....and it lights up when the O/D is taken off....hence it does not light up. Also, putting the car into second is not the same as shutting off the O/D....which would actually be, for the sake of conversation, "fourth" gear. Will probably start out with testing the switch though...just thought it was funny because it did not go all at once, like switches usually do.....kind of "faded in and out" for a while. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You the USA model must have a differnet ATX to the AUS models. We here have a hold button. This brings the car out of 4th and into 3rd (4th is OD). With the Hold button in the ATX acts like a Manual

·
Registered
732 Posts
Be careful if that hold light flashes. You might have some problems with your tranny. I know I did. I recently Had to buy a rebuild kit. You can always try to do a diagnostic check yourself and see what the error might be. Coudl be as simple as a faulty O/D switch which is located on the back of the ATX.

By the way you might wanna take your car to the nearest Mazda dealer. There's a few TSB recalls that have come out, and one deals with the speed sensor (which involves the OD light) They'll fix all TSB recalls for free by the way

·
Registered
188 Posts
Be careful if that hold light flashes. You might have some problems with your tranny. I know I did. I recently Had to buy a rebuild kit. You can always try to do a diagnostic check yourself and see what the error might be.
I have the same problem with my 95 ATX. Where did you get the rebuild kit? How much? The Mazda dealer tole me $3000 for a new tranny @- forget that. All it is are the shift packs. Or would it be cheaper to put in a MTX?

·
Registered
732 Posts
What I say to that 3grand? Hell No! My dealership quoted me between 2400 and 2700 for rebuilt up to remanned tranny.

I got mine from Level 10 performance. (http;//www.levelten.com) I also have a review of them on my site at http://mx6info.com

It was $750 for the rebuild kit (no tax w/shipping) and the labor was around $1500, which included the 9-10 hour install plus a tranny cooler.

Its the best buy I made on my car so far!

An MTX swap is a LOT more money if yout not doing it yourself. The labor costs will kill you. Now, anotehr option Level 10 offers for $1000 is a electronic shift kit that allows your auto to shift like a tranny. Might be a good buy if your really serious about swapping.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info mx6racer001. Looks like your new web site will be an excellent resource for those of us "in need" when you get it up and running. Take it easy and "keep on sixin'".

·
Registered
732 Posts
Thanks for the compliment

NOTE to anyone who read this post.

If you happen to get an aftermarket rebuild kit like mine from Level 10 and take it to your Mazda or other specialty service installer, DON'T let them over rate you on the hours. This kit takes 9-10 hours to install, tops.

Mazda truied to tell me it woudl take 18 hours, well @$65 an hour? no way! Don't let them convince you of it.

Just a word of warning to save your bank..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts