Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After encountering a few problems with my 6 over the weekend, namely, sluggish and jerky acceleration when warm. I got my codes read and came up with 2 errors 17 - Lambda sensor and 10 Air intake temp sensor.

Spoke to Mazda and as i suspected you can't just replace the O2 sensor, you have to replace the VAF unit as a whole. The cost of the new unit is £382.

Would apprec iate if any of you guys out there had a spare one floating about that i could possibly purchase from you or know of any numbers or contacts i could use to locate one.

Don't mind paying the £140 for the front Lambda sensor or the £90 for the rear one.

Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Hi m8

Emm i been on here a couple years now i thing :eek: , and i don't think i have ever heard of anyone changing there VAF unit, the guy in MAZDA is talking rubbish, LOTS of people on here replace the lamba sensors without changing the VAF unit, me thinks the guy is trying to rip you off.

Have a look at this link and there are loads more >>
http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77900&highlight=lamba+sensor

Andy

·
Registered
5,230 Posts
Hi icesurf3r,
icesurf3r said:
Spoke to Mazda and as i suspected you can't just replace the O2 sensor, you have to replace the VAF unit as a whole. The cost of the new unit is £382.
I presume they mean the Intake Temp sensor? There's no need to replace the VAF just because you're changing the Lambda's... Try www.1stchoicedirect.co.uk for a quote from the breakers database first.

Don't mind paying the £140 for the front Lambda sensor or the £90 for the rear one.
Ripoff! You should be looking at about £80 for the pair if you get universals. See here: http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=79345
and here for fitting details: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dorothy.bradbury/probemx/p_m13.htm

Cheers,
Ken

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
The code ten for the Air intake temp sensor is why they said change the VAF. The O2 is completey separate. The IAT is part of the VAF.

They are a very robust part and I would if anything check the muti plug to the VAF first.

Clean the terminals and try again after clearing the codes.

There is a test for the IAT that is quite simple IE measuring the resistance while you heat it up with a hair dryer.

I still say it will be a bad connection.

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
here you go.

John

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I understand that the Airflow meter is nothing to do with the lambda sensors. He was just saying that if the problem was the airflow meter then i would have to replace the whole unit, and not just the sensor.

The guy at the diagnostic centre did say that he would be able to get the lambda sensors cheaper than the Mazda ones after i spoke to him later. He didn't charge me for the initial diagnostic test, and to test both Lambda sensors he said it would be around £30 + VAT. Does this seem reasonable???

Will try cleaning the multi plug on the Vaf unit too, see if it helps.

·
Premium Member
10,821 Posts
The O2 sensor LH is the one at the front, and is easy to replace, although, if the front one is going, the rear won't be far behind.. best to replace both.

The manual states to check lots of things including fuel pressure, fuel and air leakage, but to be honest, this is unlikely to be the cause..

My advice, buy two universal sensors, and fit them yourself... but don't forget to reset the ECU afterwards by disconnecting the battery, and pressing the brake pedal for 5 seconds.

If the VAF is faulty, there is no description on dismantling it, so I guess it is a replacement article.. find one from a scrappy..

John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts