Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I installed my KLZE I also put in 2 Bosch universal single-wire oxygen sensors (11027). My car ran fine for the first 5000 kms or so, but now I get codes 17 and 24. Should I expect this with the single-wire conversion? Or is something just plain messed up?

I am considering going back to the 4-wire sensors ... thoughts?

Thanks!
Mark

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
hmmm...well from experience, codes 17 and 24 indicate that there's something wrong with both o2 sensors. Have you noticed a drop in your gas mileage? You should be getting about 300 miles per tank. It may be because of the single wire, but not sure for a fact. I hear there are problems with those single wire o2 sensors. They don't heat up to temp at idle to read properly and when you're driving and come to a stop light, they can cool to the point of not reading as well. so check to see if you're still getting the proper gas mileage. if you are, then i wouldn't worry bout it. if not, then i recommend paying the extra for the 4 wire.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My gas mileage is definitely down. Has anyone else had a problem with codes 17 and 24 with the single-wire conversion?

Nike3D: Do you mean 2 new universal single-wire sensors? Or 2 universal 4-wire sensors?

Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
You should not have gotten those codes.. I ran single wire on my 2g for a long while (in fact, they're still in there plugging the holes) and never threw a code.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
NSMX-6 said:
That's what I thought ... why might I be getting them with this setup?
Are you sure you tapped the correct wires? I know this sounds strange, but I've seen people tap heater wires by accident and it wouldn't throw a code for a long time (don't ask why because I don't know).
Fr3d said:
i have 4 wire o2 sensors on my klze
is dat strange?
"dat" :sigh: isn't strange as it's "supposed" to have a heated 4 wire O2.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose I could have tapped the wrong wires (I better not have--grrr!!). I'll have to check them and confirm this. ...

In the meantime, does anyone know where to buy *cheap* Bosch (or equivalent) O2 sensors in Canada? ... For some reason, Bosch sensors in Canada are seemingly way more than they should be (even with the exchange rate, etc.) For example, the Bosch 4-wire sensors cost around $60/each in the US (USD), but about $140/each in Canada (CAD).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, I have finally checked my O2 sensor wiring ...

I have my LH (front) sensor tapped into the green wire of the car-side harness and I have my RH (rear) sensor tapped into the yellow wire of the car-side harness. Is that right (single wire sensors ...)?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, I left the car side of the wiring alone.

I cut the old sensor off, leaving as much wire on the sensor side of the harness as possible. From what I can remember, the stock sensor has 1 black wire, then the other three are shades of white or gray with stripes and what-not.

Tap the black one.

If you have offed the stock sensor and tapped into the car side of the wires, I can't help you there.

James

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't cut the car-side harness off, I just used it to refer to the colour(s), as I believe some of the wiring on the aftermarket sensors varies in colour. The real standard is the car-side wire colour.

If I find a schematic, can someone read it and verify the proper wire to tap for me? I'm not an electronics guru by any means.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
IIRC.... 2 of them are grounds, one is the heater 12V and the other is the sensor wire.

Sounds really easy to figure it out with a good old multi-meter... since two are ground and one is 12V. :shrug:

·
Registered
326 Posts
I seem to remember people posting with confusion about which wires to tap into. The threads that I searched and read before taking the task on said to be sure to leave the O2 sensors' side of the harness and wires, so that there won't be any confusion.

Have you checked your setup to see if it is a three white colored wires and one black one type setup?

From all of what I have read in searches here and at PT, I don't remember anyone saying with any confidence about the car-side wire colors.

If you can find a schematic, I'm sure some smarty-pants around here will know how to read it.
James

1 - 20 of 21 Posts