Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. New to the forum and a question on the o2 sensor mod.

I'm in need to replace both my o2 sensors on my 93 mx-6 ls. I've checked if they were the right codes and sure enough they were( 17 and 24). I've gone to a few different auto stores but the prices they sell them at are crazy(well im a cheap guy lol) and im always looking for ways to spend less even if I have to do a little mod..

With that said the three options are as followed:

1. Just spend the money and just buy the oem replacement sensors, replace them, and walk away...

2. Do the one wire o2 sensor mod, save a crap load of money, but risk things like performance/fuel economy

3. Do the 3 wire o2 sensor sensor mod, save some money, and run just as good as installing the 4-wire oem sensor.

Im feeling option #3 but I have a few questions..
remember that i'm looking to just buy one at the store cause i dont want to wait for shipping, but i might if the price isnt right.

1. Are all o2 sensors the same size? Like can I just pick up any 3-wire universal o2 sensor and just wire it on the old connector and it'll fit in the o2 sensor bung AND work properly?
2. If not, what should I ask for? Part number? Year/make/model?
3. There are two o2 sensors, will there be 2 different o2 sensors to buy?

Hope someone has an answer for me.

Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok well did more reading and i found out that both o2 sensors are pretty much the same except that one is longer( i believe it is the right side that is longer) and can be used for both sides.<---correct me if i am wrong

also..im still confused on which one is the left and which is the right. i know i have to stand on one side of the car to determine which one is left and which one is right but which side do i stand on?

any other information i should know about?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
go to rockauto. you can get denso 4 wire o2 sensors for 43 bucks each. no mods, just plug and play. just get the longer ones for both sides, same price i think. just zip tie the wires out of the way once you get them hooked up

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
just want to clear something up...

front=front by the radiator/left?
rear=by the firewall/right?

still confused. correct me if im wrong

i also read that all o2 sensors are pretty much the same and can be interchanged by changing the wiring.

im trying to do all of this by just going to the local autoparts store and buying an o2 sensor to mod it on. i dont like worrying about shipping and wether it'll get here or not.

Also, i found some part numbers for a bosch 3 wire o2 sensor from a ford taurus w/4 cylinder engine at autozone that were pretty reasonable prices. Im probably going to be using one these o2 sensors

#13942= bosch 3 wire o2 sensor;$39.99;10.75" in length W/ oem connector
#13953= bosch 3 wire o2 sensor;$42.99;19.00" in length W/ oem connector
#15725= bosch 3 wire o2 sensor;$40.99;unknown length; universal

Found this part number. Said it was for a chrysler. Not sure which one though but it is cheaper than the universal one for the mx-6(which is about $60+

#13275= bosch 4 wire o2 sensor;$44.99;unknown length; unknown vehicle
#15716= bosch 4 wire o2 sensor;$43.99;10.5";91-93 mustang 2.3L

UPDATE: if you plan to use the 3 wire o2 sensor for your 2g mx6, you wont have to use the ground wire from the old 4 wire o2 sensor because the 3 wire is ground through the sensor(i read this somewhere but i cant remember where to clarify)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
anyone want to add anything? I'm going to be purchasing the universal 3 wire o2 sensors today if they have them in stock.

Maybe i'll do a write up with pictures...

·
Premium Member
5,189 Posts
Why not do what bmx said and just order the denso ones that are plug and play? You're not saving any money by doing it your way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the sensors on rockauto are $43...is that including shipping? i spent $98($3 for a full throttle energy drink :D ) so about 95 and thats WITH a 1 yr warranty. I know i probably wont use the warranty seeing that i hacked up the sensor, but hey its there.

I didnt get a chance to take any pics since i just wanted to get it done. Its winter here and didnt feel like staying out too long. If anyone has any questions on what i did or anything, feel free to PM me.

I was hoping they would have the 3 wire one priced at $40 but they were out so I just picked up 2 bosch 4 wire sensors for $44 each at autozone part number 15176. took me 30min to remove the old sensors(a lot easier when the exhaust is hot and i didnt even need any wd-40!), another 30 min to wire them into the stock sensors and 15 min to put everything back.

sensors are working great. no more codes. i know its a lot easier to just buy and replace them but hey some people arent always that way. i dont like doing the whole shipping business and would rather do it myself and blame me then to go hunting after someone for something i ordered after not getting it after X amount of weeks. I'm not saying to not buy online cause I have. I'm just putting in another option for people to go to IF needed.

thanks.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha me too! or i would be out $90 bucks! haha

well the next time around, im gonna be trying it with the 3 wire o2 sensors. a little cheaper and they should work just as well.

i'm afraid to buy the ebay ones priced at like $20 a sensor...a little too cheap but i guess you get what you pay for.
anyone have any reviews on those ebay 4-wire o2 sensors?

·
Super Moderator
2,611 Posts
lol, old zombie thread

Fujin - I replaced mine about a year ago. We both have 94's and there are only two 02 sensors

- The first one in thee can be done without jacks. You can reach from the top by removing some of your front covers. You can stair right down and see it.

- The second one at the back of the engine I did jack up, but could have done with out jacking

Do you have access to a Haynes or Mazda workshop manual for the steps/pix? If not let me know I can get you some scans

·
Registered
33 Posts
lol, old zombie thread

Fujin - I replaced mine about a year ago. We both have 94's and there are only two 02 sensors

- The first one in thee can be done without jacks. You can reach from the top by removing some of your front covers. You can stair right down and see it.

- The second one at the back of the engine I did jack up, but could have done with out jacking

Do you have access to a Haynes or Mazda workshop manual for the steps/pix? If not let me know I can get you some scans
No haynes manual I also have a 94 MX6 LS if you can scan the pics I would be highly appreciated.

·
Banned
99 Posts
I have an NTK 4 wire heated [expensive] o2 sensor if OP is still looking or anyone else happens to be interested? $50 shipped. pm me if anyone wants it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts