Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to know if the o2 sensor would have anything to do with problems in my ATX... i.e. gear hunting between 35-45 mph and no overdrive gear. Also many times times hold flashes on the dash so naturally there would be no OD. i'm not a tranny expert at all but the mazda dealer said that the o2 sensor is the problem. if so could i replace it myself? or should i go to the dealer and give them alot of money?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I would have a hard time believing any dealer that told me that my oxygen sensor was causing the transmission problems. The O2 sensor in effect tells the PCM how rich/lean the fuel mixture is burning for a particular bank (in a V-6) of cylinders. The PCM then determines which mixture is appropriate based on what it was programmed to do.

I don't even think that the automatic uses the same computer, but I am not positive of this since mine is a 5 speed.

If your O2 sensor is a problem, your check engine light will come on. The front one is easy to replace; AutoZone has a Bosch replacement (not a generic one) for around $65. The rear one is just a little more difficult to get to but not too bad.

Tyson

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so will this replacement help gas mileage? oh...and for these things you just bolt em on and hook em up?

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
kerruptor, there's a good chance that there is a developing problem within the transaxle itself. As Tyson pointed out, the O2 sensor is a feedback sensor the PCM uses for fuel delivery and it will have zero effect on the transaxle.

Go to my website and look under "Maintenance". Click on the "Malfunction Codes" link and scroll as needed to find the method to read the codes from the PCMT (transaxle controller computer). You might be able to find out the exact reason the hold light is flashing and the transaxle is misbehaving.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
hey mike - love your maintenance site... those pages just got printed out and inserted into my mx6 info binder.

·
Registered
100 Posts
well, the computer also controls newer automatic transmissions. but you might as well get the new o2 sensor and have your transmission serviced soon.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
mike, is the rear o2 sensor te same as the front one? i am gonna replace both and i was curious if i have to buy two of the same sensors or 2 different ones....thanx for everything...peace

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I have heard that the dealer parts are different (perhaps a longer wire for the rear one) but the Bosch part is the same.

Tyson

·
Registered
100 Posts
they should both be the same, but justy go to autozone or Napa or pepboys and tell them that you need the o2 sensors for the front and rear banks. don't get them from the dealer, they will rape you on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts