Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car just failed the e-test and the first major problem was the catalytic converter but after that it improved greatly but still failed. I toke my car to school to check it out and get error codes 15,23, and 24. The error codes 15 and 23 are the l/h and r/h o2 sensors and error 24 is the closed loop circuit they are in but the scanner I used wouldn't actually give me a reading of what was going on. Does anyone know a good way to try and test the o2 sensors or would you say it is safe to spend my money and replace them? and I also did an exhaust test and found out my car is running rich. If anyone knows what's going on with my car feel free to help cause I want my car to pass that e-test and stop running so rich. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
734 Posts
Well if the computer is spitting out these code at you, then chances are they're right. Unless you've got a really messed up computer. J/K Well if you're failing the emissions test with a brand new cat, then chances are both O2 sensors are gone. They're a realy pain to replace too. PM me or ICQ me and i'll help you out. Where abouts do you live? Let me know!

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
andrewstcyr said:
My car just failed the e-test and the first major problem was the catalytic converter but after that it improved greatly but still failed. I toke my car to school to check it out and get error codes 15,23, and 24. The error codes 15 and 23 are the l/h and r/h o2 sensors and error 24 is the closed loop circuit they are in but the scanner I used wouldn't actually give me a reading of what was going on. Does anyone know a good way to try and test the o2 sensors or would you say it is safe to spend my money and replace them? and I also did an exhaust test and found out my car is running rich. If anyone knows what's going on with my car feel free to help cause I want my car to pass that e-test and stop running so rich. Thanks a lot!
Yeah, of course your car is running rich. It failed an emissions test didnt it? The 02 feedback system isn't working, it runs rich by default.

Just replace the sensors and get on with your life. Drving around with the bad sensors prolly killed your first cat.
-Garrett

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
That and they will save you $50 bucks a day in gas.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the offer Nakano_Kid but I should be able to manage on my own. I live in Waterloo and I think it would be a bit out of ur way to get down here from london. Yeah I bought this car a couple weeks ago and it's had quite the hidden pains to get certified and now to pass the e-test. The last guy who owned it must have done some stupid stuff cause the check engine light has been disconnected and the odometer doesn't work right. Sounds like I got suckered but I didn't pay to much money for the car so I'll make it work out. Anyways I guess my next question is, is there any difference to o2 sensors cause the shop that e-tested my car said there were oem sensors and performance sensors. I would prefer the one that gets better gas mileage. Once again thanks a lot for the help.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got the o2 sensors in and the car passed with flying colours! Just thought I would let you guys know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts