Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just wanted to go through this OBD I and II stuff. I've been reading a lot about the differences in the systems however my personal experience is this....

I originally had a '96 KLD (KL03) (OBD II) which I swapped with a KLZE (OBD I) I'm still using the A-spec computer. After finally getting it back together and buttoning up the wireharness I ended up with a couple left over plugs on the harness. Each exhaust manifold (headers in my case) has an 02 Sensor, however there are still 2 which I don't use anymore. And I'm not even sure where they went, possibly on the Y-pipe? I have the sensors plugged in but they are just dangling there. My question is, would it be better to just unplug the extra 02 sensors and run without their signal, or should I leave them dangling. I wonder which is worse, no reading fromthe sensors at all, or a false reading seeing how they aren't in the flow of exhaust? Anyway, there are also a couple more, one which is near the throttle body, and MAF sensor, it is a 3-prong oval connector I think florscent yellow inside. I don't know where it goes. There are also 2, square plugs in that area which are exactly like the VRIS ones, I think these were for the EGR stuff I'm still not sure. Everything else all went right back into place. I will try to get pics of these up later. Now after all was ready, I turned the key, and VROOOM, she fired right up. I had to adjust the timing a little, and play with the idle speed screw, but I got it humming smoothly. As far as the VRIS go, I'm not sure I've got them all wired up correctly with the vacuum lines and such, and I'm not even sure how to identify VRIS1 from VRIS2 etc... All I know is that the car runs great and I haven't had it on a Dyno to tell if I'm losing power somwhere. Please add your knowledge to this thread.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The two extra o2 sensors go right before and after the catalytic converter. The OBD2 computer uses them to monitor how well the cat is working.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts