Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, posting in hope to get some advice for a couple problems I have with my 89 mx6. The car is completely stock except for a mbc, k&n pod, also has a hollowed cat. Sometimes it will boost cut, sometimes it wont, cold or hot(whether) doesnt seem to make a difference. the gauge will always show 9psi. mbc is completely closed.

The idle problem isnt very common, it may only do it once a week, but i'll pull up in the driveway after driving it for half an hour and it will be jumping from 250rpm to 500rpm as if running on 3 cyls

any advice is appreciated, thanks guys

·
Registered
642 Posts
check for boost leaks mate. Especially check around the throttle body boot and splits on the intercooler. Just spray soapy water on the piping and you should b able to see if there is a leak or not.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
does the boost vary between the gears? mine used to be different, ie 9 psi 2nd and 3rd, but then about 12 in 4th

check ur egr valve aswell, but since its only very rare i doubt it, but always a good thing to check straight up b4 putting too much thought into it

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
hangon a tick. ill find a thread for u that will explain it beta than me

·
Registered
2,813 Posts

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
i just cleaned my EGR valve and its pretty obvious the mechanism which seals the exhaust gas doesnt seal very well. it is definitely something to watch out for though im not sure how it would affect boost cut

·
Registered
16 Posts
My car was idling really bad until my mechanic replaced a heap of the vacuum hoses, since then has idled smooth as. Probably something you could do yourself since most of them would be quite old/perished. Don't know if this would effect boost tho...

·
Registered
357 Posts
in my slivia, i dissconnected the egr and the car ran fine. dunno bout the mazda though, icant remeber back that far

1 - 12 of 12 Posts