Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car is running fine. The fuel gauge has become an issue. After filling up, it only shows about 3/4 full. As the tank goes down, sometimes it will be correct, other times it will be too low. Sometimes it can show 1/4 when starting out, then after driving go to the correct level such as 1/2. It can show empty with the warning light on when there is still at least 1/4. I am pretty sure it is just some electrical wire problem with not getting enough current.

I follow the correct use with the trip odometer. At 250 miles I fill up and it is around 10 gallons. The fuel gauge is usually showing close to empty with the warning light. But the tank has 5 gallons left.

The oddest part.....when the fuel gauge is showing close to empty, starting out in the morning, the car will need to crank longer to start, like it is waiting for the fuel. This is the only time when this happens. It can't be short of fuel as there is always at least 4 to 5 gallons of fuel still.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Wish I had something to offer to help, but sorry I don't. Electrical gremlins are the absolute worst to find and repair. I hope you or someone else figures it out, because it's only a matter of time when I or someone else experiences something similar. Good luck, please keep us posted. Maybe its a bad connection/ground at the sending unit?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone ? So strange......today I had to crank the engine on start up about 10 seconds before it started, so it sounds like fuel starvation when the fuel tank is near empty. But trip odometer is at 228 miles. I went and filled up, and it only took 11 gallons, so 4 gallons were still inside the tank. So how can it be starved for fuel ? Fuel gauge showing empty. But car runs fine.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should add that after filling up with gas, the engine starts right up with no lag. During the time of using up gas, the fuel gauge will read about 3/4 full at the start. Then can go way low starting out after a few days, but when driving it goes up and sometimes can go back to 1/2 full. But the real weird part remains.....why signs of fuel starvation starting the car when the fuel tank has at least 4 gallons left ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Anyone ? So strange......today I had to crank the engine on start up about 10 seconds before it started, so it sounds like fuel starvation when the fuel tank is near empty. But trip odometer is at 228 miles. I went and filled up, and it only took 11 gallons, so 4 gallons were still inside the tank. So how can it be starved for fuel ? Fuel gauge showing empty. But car runs fine.
My PGT I crank it in the mornings, I'll bump it a few rpm, then let off, and hit the key second time, it turns over about half a turn and is running. I think it just needed a little prime pressure.
I just checked the fuel pressure etc chasing a miss so I know all that is good.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The car starts right away, except when it gets down to around 4 gallons left in the tank. Then I need to crank it about 7 seconds. Can this be related to the problem with the fuel gauge ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts