Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have asked this question before in a different forum. I have recently purchased an mx6 (92) and love driving it. i have one problem and I am looking for ideas. When driving at low speeds the steering wheel is in a normal position but as you speed up the wheel goes to about a third of a turn to the ridght. ie the quicker you go the further the wheel goes to the right. although the wheel is so far off centre you can let the wheel go and it still tracks straight. The 4ws seems to work as the wheels do return to centre when the car is turned off. Does the 4ws turn to the right as speed increases making the steering wheel turn off centre to compensate?
Help! Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If you have the steering wheel straight when you switch off the engine does the rear wheals move..?
Could be just your front wheels but most likely its all 4 are out of alignment..

You can unplug the 4ws computer (in the boot under the lining behind the left rear light) . go for a drive if it doesn’t do it then that’s your problem..

You can get a 4 wheel alignment done at most shops now-a-days…
Let me know what happens when you switch off and on your drive with the computer un plugged, and I can tell you more..

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
A few thing cna be causeing this

Tyres can really change up some cars tracking - but in your case I don't think so, but have seen it when going from high profile to lower profield

More comon would be wear in the steering components. Ball joint tie-rod ends and steering rack.

But Something tells it's more like to be 4WS alignment is out, weird but just feels like that the problem.
Not many of these car have had a full proper 4 wheel independant alginment done to them which is also needed on the 2WS model as.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks people
I will try unplugging the computer and see what happens. It has recently had a 4ws alignment but I think I might get another one done. (as the previous one was done in Qld before i bought the car)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts