Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, My amp is saying Offset and will not give me any power. when I turn the system on I get a small noise from the subs but after that the amp will not give them any power. Does anyone know what Offset means? and if so how to fix it?? thanx

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
not that i know the problem,, but i am curious,, what kind of amp do you have...

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
The offset means you have the output or volume too high... something along the lines of you are trying to put out more power than you are getting in. Check to see if your wires are crossed and the turn the "output" knob thingy down to about 3/4. It may mean that the wires you are using for power and ground are too small. I think the amp recommended 8guage. I have had the same problem on my Sony 760, mine was a crossed speaker wire. The wiring diagram foldout thing that came with the amp has a decent troubleshooting guide if those don't fix it. Check those, and if it isn't one of those... I say don't worry about it - you are getting a Memphis soon!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am running 4 gauge power and ground, The only thing that was changed was I took the subs out for one night and put them back in, I may not have reattacched the amp to speaker wires properly, i will check my sub connections to see if that is what is doing it. This happens when I turn it on so it is not the volume because I turn the volume off when I turn my car off.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
probably crossed a wire somewhere and it sseeing a short. Good thing it worked this time - the Sony potection circuits don't always catch that before the amp blows....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya it has to be the amp to sub wires because they are the only wires I had taken off that night, everything else satyed attached, and i didnt unmount the amp from my car.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I have now rewired the entire system(everything involving the subs and amp) and ti is still saying offset. I tires switching it too 2 Ohms instead of 1. I still cannot find out what is wrong with it. Does anyone else have any ideas on what it could be??? I am dieing here. I can't stand driving without music.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Sorry, didn't get back in time....

Yeah, I kinda failed to mention that - I said you were lucky because it caught it in time. :eek: I forgot to say that if it didn't catch it in time, it would act just like that, a blown output looks th same as a shorted speaker to the protection circuits.

Sorry to hear about that....

If you were planning on getting a Memphis soon, stick to that plan. Otherwise - what woofers again, and what resistance (ohms/voicecoils)?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have the Memphis sitting right here as we spek, will be installing in the spring, don't want subs in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts