Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, im driving down the road bla bla bla, and all suddenly and politely, i get this crap.

Thats the Charge, Brake, Fuel, and 4WS lights.

The Brake definatly isnt refering to the handbrake, because when i pull that up, it gets a bit brighter, and it cant be refering to the brake fluid level sensor, because the resevoir is well and truly full.

The fuel light has been intermittant for a while now, regardless of fuel level, for the first year and a half owning this car i didnt even know it had a fuel light because it never came on, not on start up or even running dry out of petrol.

the 4WS light came on a bit during the day today, and wouldnt switch off by me shutting down and restarting the car a few times, i figured it might be confused since i parked it pretty close to a gutter yesterday, although the error didnt pop up then, and i was careful not to rub the wheel against the kerb, Later today, i undid the battery to maybe wipe the codes, and i got under the car and had a look at the 4WS rack, no damage, nothing bent, nothing leaking, nothing anything... i hook the battery back up, and drive it home, and a few hours when i go to use it... i get these 4 lights... how annoying.. any ideas ? This and the car is still pissing PS fluid after spending so many thankless days and hours and dollars on that PS system going over it, and its dripping motor oil as well.. time for an overhaul...

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats the thing i thaught alternator for the charge light, but i drove 3 minutes home with them like that, and ive been in a car where the alternator died before, and it quickly dies on its ass, especially with the lights on, which they didnt even seem to dim.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just checked, Shit it must be the alternator, im pretty sure when the cars running the voltage is sposed to get up to like 16ish?

·
Registered
752 Posts
About 13.8v when the car is running

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
no it's the current from the alternator

volatge is one thing. but it's sing of alternator is about to DIE

battery voltage should never go over 14.4 of 14.5 is the most the alternator should chuck out.

Normally when oyu get these light's it's due to the Recterfier, it's what turns the AC volatge or SINE wave into cut down half sine signal to give you DC.

Get a good Auto electritian to load test the alternator.

·
Premium Member
3,355 Posts
sounds like the alternator to me.....

sometimes the brushes can wear out too, and you get intermittent contact, which will cause the alternator not to produce any output.

Usually if there is no output from the alternator, it will bring on more warning lights than just the charge light.

You can drive the car quite a distance with no alternator...so long as you turn off all your electrical loads....I mean everything, including the radio....and dont rest your foot on the brake at the lights, use the handbrake.

I managed to drive all the way from Kellyville to the City (45mins) after the alternator belt broke on my GD.
The car still started at the end of the trip. wasnt much fun it was about 38 degrees that day..with no a/c and no fan

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

Well i drove it to the old house to make this thread (no internet at the new placE) and then back home again, and then this morning to the auto electricitian... 5 hours later when they start working on it i get a call saying yep the alternator was buggered, cos it was full of oil, stupidly i remember rod pointing out my valve cover gaskets needed replacing... ages ago...and then of course now i remember i topped up my oil yesterday.. and spilt plenty of it.. which is probably what screwed it up... yay me, funnel purchased, $300 lesson learnt.

·
Registered
545 Posts
.. i know its been solved, but it happend to me on my tx5, but my problem was HUGGEEEE Vac leaks... =/ was not cool.

·
Registered
233 Posts
im currently having a similar issue except mine is the handbrake light wont turn off, i pulled the console out and had a look and the wire must be rubbing or broken somwhere under my carpet where i cant get to it. My solution will be to remove the bulb from the cluster because i cant get to the wire to fix it.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
hand brake light is also the low level for brake fluid

so your either low or broken brake fluid level sensor

·
Registered
233 Posts
oooo that could be winner actually because i did have low break fluid the other day which i thought was strange because its been the normal height for so long then all the sudden it needed some. Ill sus it out later on. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
196 Posts
I'm gonna check all these suggestions, I asked a while back why my 4WS light is constantly on (driving or not) & Brake light comes on when I turn headlights on. I thought it may have been due to stock ECU with ZE motor as someone sugested this from US! I'm gonna install JSpec VAF & ECU later today & see if this does anything? I was waiting till I fit headers & ZE IM in a fortnights' time but, 1 way to tell. Also, I've never been able to work the diagnoses checking module thing?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts