Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

101 - 120 of 160 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I'll probably just have my buddy bend and weld me up something specifically for this car. I kind of want an exit through the fender or bumper not under them.

Brake rotor friction surfaces came in today. Now I need to separate the old ones to get the new ones on. I'll get pics soon but they are damn sexy looking.

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
heres how mine came out, although i had (taken off in the picture) a lip that arched around it so it didnt look like it just hung down.

it would be pretty easy to just cut a pie section out of mine and it would come out a lot higher. I couldnt run mine thru the bumper because my intercooler pipes ran thru there... and it wouldnt make sense to heat them up.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
I'm not 100% sure how I am going to route the exhaust yet. Definitely a side exit but I won't know where until I have the car up on a lift at my buddy's shop. Lots to do before then.

Here's some fresh progress shots. Baby steps. Got the rear suspension done and temporary wheels on so I could get it on the ground and use the jack stands for the 3.

Also got the brakes apart finally. Just need new hardware to get them back together and on the car. I had to heat, deep creep, and drill the bolts to get them free.

Also picked up a front lip a while back. Not sure if I will bother painting it body color since it will make the rest of the car look terrible. Might just do black primer. It's just hanging on there not attached yet.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Holy crap, its great to see your back in the 6 game, I sure missed alot on this forum.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Today was a productive day. I removed the exhaust after the turbo since I won't be running it out the back again. Also bolted up the shifter stabilizer that had a sheared bolt, reattached the intermediate shaft that was loose, installed the trans saver brace, and adjusted the suspension a bit. Once my new brake rotor bolts get here I can get the front end back together and get the car on the ground.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
I'm waiting for hardware to arrive so I can put my brakes back together and get the damn car on the ground. The hardware store I ordered them from got me 4 less than I needed after 3-4 weeks of waiting for them to come in. Dicks. I ordered a set of 20 from ebay because I am impatient.

Today I put the subframes/x-members back on and finished the water to air system plumbing. Once I wire up the pump I will be able to fill it, check for leaks, and see how it flows. After that the list is somewhat short.

Get the BOV flange welded to the w2a intercooler, hook up the turbo oil feed line, get a downpipe fabricated with a wideband O2 flange on it, wire up supertones and high beams so I can pass inspection, install a new accessory belt, drain and refill oil, gas, and coolant, connect the battery and make sure the gauges are working, then fire her up.

After I know she runs I need to lengthen the clutch slave cylinder rod for better clutch action and get an exhaust fabricated. Then inspection and registration and I can start stretching her legs.

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
Time to buy a house bro, then you won't even have money for one DD, let alone one project!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
My woman makes my projects/toys possible!
I've been married 5 yrs, have 4 kids under the age of 6yrs, have my own place(with a garage), work like 2-3 jobs, and still work on other people's vehicles!
I know it sounds crazy but, if I can do that then wtf are you guys complaining about? LOL

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Haven't updated this for a while. Got a big project knocked out today!

So In the process of swapping over from a bad turbo to a good turbo I had to make a few changes due to different flanges. I ended up just buying a whole set of hot pipes from an ebay seller with a downpipe included that would fit the new turbo. They arrived today and my brother and I spent 4 hours removing the old parts and installing the new ones.

The old pipes removed.

New ones in. Didn't take any in progress shots because space is too tight. Had to remove the intake manifold to reach the rear exhaust manifold bolts. Also removed the entire radiator for better front access. Made things much easier.

Under car shot. They are a little low but I think they will be fine. The angle of this picture makes them look lower than they are. The downpipe is the lowest part and I'll have to see if the crossmember fits with the new pipes. Probably going to have to go with a tubular crossmember setup instead.

101 - 120 of 160 Posts