Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 162 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Thanks man. I can't wait to see what you do to yours.

They are ebay pipes so they probably won't last forever but for $180 shipped I am not complaining. They did what I needed to do. Going to have to notch the corner of the front motor mount bracket. It is hitting the collector pipe lightly and I don't want a hole worn into the pipe there.

Also pretty positive that the front to rear crossmember with the front motor mount on it is not going to fit under the pipes. Are you still making any of those front mounts that attach below the radiator support?

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Far as I know all those SS turbo pipes came from the same place.. I got them also.
Some people are just getting a better deal on them lol..they first came out a $550.. I got them for $350 and thought I got a deal. The only problem I ran into with them was the hardware they supplied was cheap china grade garbage..It all kept stripping on me.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
The only problem I ran into with them was the hardware they supplied was cheap china grade garbage..It all kept stripping on me.
+1, I got all SS bolt from ACE when I put on my turbo pipe, the stuff that came with my SSAC header were junk and took hours to remove cause they were all rusted, I pretty much have to cut them off.

Wrapping the pipe will prevent it from rusting actually, my kit was made by Matt Maas with some mild steel piping and I heatwrapped them, they been through 2 Chicago and Indy winter and I didn't find a spot of rust on them when I remove them.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
Ive seen people post pics of OBX manifolds that they wrapped, and they rusted out after the first winter in the midwest. Id be very weary, and do some research before id go that route. Actually i wouldnt even go that route, id just ceramic coat it in the first place.

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Yeah I think I am just going to leave them as is for now. If I notice anything close getting toasty I will deal with it then. The car's not going to be daily driven and she will have a home in my garage so the pipes should be fine for a long time.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Ive seen people post pics of OBX manifolds that they wrapped, and they rusted out after the first winter in the midwest. Id be very weary, and do some research before id go that route. Actually i wouldnt even go that route, id just ceramic coat it in the first place.
Did they drive it everyday? If they just let it sit there then yeah it's gonna rust, because the wrap is keeping all the moisture in. I have these SSAC header on the M for a year and a half now, other then the normal brownish color there are no rust on them, and I didn't even wrap them.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
The rust won't be on the SS pipes, it will be on the low quality welds. Sand blasting and rust proof painting them or ceramic coating them is what would be best to avoid rusting.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
I like your transmission warmer mod :D

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Ah the sweet sound of the engine turning over

Glad it's finally alive, congrats and good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #136

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
I think they are going to a catch can in the back, hard to see from the video tho.

121 - 140 of 162 Posts