Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting a lot of ads for oil additives,such as Duralube,Motorup etc.As these all seem to originate in the USA,has anybody experimented with these?.Do any of the manufacturers claims stand up to scrutiny?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'll make it plain and simple....just use a high-quality oil filter and synthetic oil.
First of all, the molecules in synthetic oil are much more consistent in size and shape, which reduces the effects of extreme engine temperatures. Typically, oil additive's short-chain molecules can easily evaporate, and its unstable molecules will oxidize in the extreme heat. In addition, synthetic stocks are chemically produced so there are no contaminants. Additives contain small amounts of sulfur, wax and asphaltic material that cannot be completely removed from crude petroleum. Another key difference is that synthetic stocks do not contain wax, which gives synthetic oils the ability to flow at much lower temperatures without the need of additives. Why spend the money on products which can harm your engine or do nothing for your engine's life?
I personally use Mobil 1's Tri-Synthetic 5w30(fall/winter) and 15w50(spring/summer). Also installed in my car is a Bosch filter.

-Cheers
Nate
Mechanical Engineering
McMaster University, Canada.

·
Registered
483 Posts
additives

Dear John,

Well, the best additive for your oil is just changing it, if your car hasn't been changed go to your local auto store and buy a bottle of gunk-out...use it under your discretion. One thing that I recommend and to all of the MX6ers is a bottle of Chevron Techron, if you buy this put it in before you have to get an oil change. It cleans injectors and valves and it takes away carbon deposits out of your engine...it runs cleaner and it supposed to help emissions and idling. Highly recommended...don't do it every 3,000 miles they say it on the bottle. I will be putting a bottle in my fuel tank soon. Let me know!!!

good luck,

Anthony

·
Registered
405 Posts
if you guys get a chance, go to autozone and buy a little red bottle called RXP. this shit is amazing, not for performance but for cleaning out the fuel system. if you go to http://www.rxp.com it explains how it works. i didnt think to much of it, until i had a compression check done and he ask me if i had used any fuel additives. he told me that my cylinder heads ad no evidenvce of any type of carbon or whatever else may be deposited onto them (and i got 135,000 miles). then i remembered putting that stuff into my tank about a month and a half ago. it comes in a 2oz bottle, yeah that is what i thought, but the stuff really worked. i was impressed, and it says that you onlt need to use it once. if it was a scam it would tell you to use it after every fill up right?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts