Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my car sitting a bit; so maybe this is no big thing but I wanted to bring it up anyways. In starting the car I have noticed a bit of oil burnning off my exhaust side of the turbo. This is at the bottom close to where the holding bracket is. I have verified that the oil return line is not leaking.

It seems to be comming from the "seam" of the exhaust housing and the center section. It may be that my the exhaust side of wheel may be leaking a bit, not sure. I always thought these things leaked a bit of oil anyhow and sitting for a month may not have helped. Anyways, this is not enough to drip on the floor or anything, just enough to make the metal look damp. (I can smell and see it as it burns away)

I have checked my plugs and intake, all look good. The car is not putting out any blue smoke or anything.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My car has been like that for the last 50K. I suppose the turbo seals have gone out but it doesn't seem to have affected turbo function. I just have to put more oil in the car more often. It's been going on so long that my entire turbo is coated in grime - not pretty. I'm getting a rebuild within the next few weeks, because I wanna change my exhaust manifold gasket at the same time as I switch the turbo out; I hate to do things twice.

If you've been running synth oil that may have something to do with it. I believe in the benefits of synthetics but they do take their toll on old seals (or maybe they clear grime off of seals that were already bad.) My car, like yours, does not put out any smoke of any color.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rebuilt turbo only a short while ago (about 3k) but it may be the 5w30 that I am running in the car. It might just be too light. I just changed the oil with some mobil 1 (since the breaking period of the motor is over). I really think it is because I don't run the car much and the oil has a chance to seap. Will see. Thanks for the reply.

G

·
hey,

i spoke to my mechanic sbout sll thst oil burning also and he told me that the ehole thing needs to be replaced or if u are running on an aftermarket turbo they tend to use parts that were not used in the initial production. i take word very seriously cause he has an rx-7 that he customized with a turbo of its own and this thing is 3 times the size of an mx-6's so go figure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts