Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I was doing some research on the never ending HLA problem, and i ran into someones comment made a while back it said.
"quick test to find out whats clicking:
open oil cap while engine is running, listen"
Before i read this i did open up the oil cap when i heard the ticking, and the sound amplified like none other. Does this confirm the HLA problem? I'm just wondering what exactly this guy meant.
Thanks for your time guys. This site is God-sent.
- Glenn

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yes

Yes, its your HLA's, try changing your oil to Mobile 1 5w-30 make sure its full!

·
Registered
787 Posts
My car has 70K easy miles on it and I run M1 5w-30. My engine had the regular tick to it, but it wasnt horrible.
Today I had my timing belt/water pump/tensioners & bearings replaced, along with the other belts. AMAZING DIFFERENCE IN NOISE. If you are due, look into it.;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry, i didnt' mean the oil cap, i meant the dipstick, or whatever the thing is you use to check your oil. I pulled that out when the car was running to see how much oil was in there, and when i did that the ticking got WAY louder.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I had a ticking problem with my car and it drove me nuts. I tryed an oil detergent and it worked.....for awhile but then the ticking came back. but I must say the detergent really worked well, when I changed the oil after it was dark. But I couldn't stand it any more so I put in a klze :D. I guess try an oil detergent, but dont for get to change the oil soon after you put it in, I changed mine a few days later. I hope you find a fix that noise is a pain, I had to shut my car off just to order coffee at the drive through because mine was so loud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.