Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just replaced my stock turbo with a known to be good turbo and when i started the beast up it billowed white smoke which it did not do previously.
the thrust bearing does not seem to be bad the play is minimal and the PCV valve is ok. the oil is not comming from the engine but from the turbo, everything past the turbo has a thick film of oil on it **ie turbine housing and downpipe**

one more thing which is seperate from my previous issue but similar. my charge pipes are coated with oil also but not on the compressor side?? the pipes were that way with my old siezed turbo.

Please enlighten me:shrug:

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
if your old turbo spewed out oil, and you swapped to a good one. your still going to have the oil in the exhaust, and intercooler pipes from the old turbo.

just let it idle and burn off the old oil, and it should be fine. and if not, you just bought another blown turbo.

·
Registered
694 Posts
There's probably a pool of oil in the bottom of the intercooler as well!:rolleyes: I replaced my turbo when it lost it's seal, and it took a few miles before it starting clearing up, then a few hard runs, and a little more came out. But all clean now!!:p

·
Registered
137 Posts
same deal-eo with me, my stock turbo died on me and basically flooded my stock intercooler which at the time was ok cause i was replacing everything from turbo to hardpipes to new intercooler... i was just surprised the stock intercooler held in that much oil... so i reccomend draining it just incase... yeah the oil will help your rings and also compression but but you'll be burning oil and smoking for quite a while.

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
you need to remove the intercooler, and tip it sideways to drain it.

i know on the probe's, you have to pull the front bumper to get the intercoolers out. might be the same way for the mx6's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
exactly... MONO's got the idea.... removing the front bumper i'm sure is required plus it'll give alot more room to work with

step 1: take the front bumper off

step 2: i'm guessing you still have the stock I/C... you may need to take out the driverside headlight to get to the hose clamps.

step 3: there is i think 3 bolts that bolt the I/C to the radiator support.

step 4: after removing it drain the oil ( optional depending if you don't need you car running right away you can squirt in some degreaser, let sit for a few, use a water hose to flush everything out and put the I/C in the sun to dry for a while...)

hope i helped some what

·
Registered
137 Posts
well depending on how much oil is in the I/C it may not clear up till you get rid of that puddle of oil in there. eventually you can get oil knock which i've heard is pretty common on our cars

·
Registered
137 Posts
btw have you found/fixed the problem causing oil to get in your I/C?

·
Registered
137 Posts
haha i feel you dude i had that problem for almost 3 months... i would say try draining the I/C first cause it's pretty easy to do and basically wont cost you anything and after that run the car and the smoke should start clearing up it took my car about a few hours of driving cause you may have oil in your exhaust... if not your turbo could be toast and may need to be rebuilt.... hopefully not. :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just removed mine
intercooler removal includes removing the bumper which is no big deal
MX6 is ready to be reassembled
just got all the parts together today
i even polished the intercooler in my spare time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
are rebuild kits for b16 easy to come by
i have experience rebuilding a a gt35r so a b16 shouldnt be too bad

·
Registered
137 Posts
i hope your gonna get it balanced as well

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
are rebuild kits for b16 easy to come by
i have experience rebuilding a a gt35r so a b16 shouldnt be too bad
you can't rebuild a BB turbo center section...and what do you mean by a B16?

·
Registered
4,150 Posts
without getting it balenced, you might as well not even bother rebuilding it. think about how bad your wheel on your car vibrates when they get oout of whack. now keep in mind that your turbo spins at over 100,000rpm (thats not an over estimate either!)

·
Registered
137 Posts
yeah i have't heard of a b16 turbo... unless you mean the common turbo people throw on b16 engines which is a to4e t3/t4 and yes the rebuild kits are easy to find they even have different rebuild kits like full rebuild kits and also just seals...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts