Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions on a good oil filter wrench. I changed the oil for the first time last weekend and there was no way that the standard adjustable-type wrench that I had was going to work - there was just no room to tighten it because of the way the filter is mounted.

I'm assuming that one that grips from the bottom of the filter would be best - any suggestions? Availalbe through carparts.com?

Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, that's actually what I did. I didn't know though if I'd always be able to remove the old one by hand. But, if thats the preferred technique, perhaps I'll stick with it. :)

·
Registered
806 Posts
It shouldn't be too tight where you can not get it off by hand. Saying that my last oil change had me going as it did come off easily. Guess I was feeling a little to froggy when I put it on. It should be hand tightened and should be hand removable too though.

·
Registered
511 Posts
yeah when you do your own changes do it hand tight. i went to change my mom's oil last weekend and f-ing jiffy lube put on the filter so damn tight it cannot come off without a wrench. i burnt my hand on the damn exhaust trying to get it off. those bastards...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I found this thing at my local auto zone that really helps with it. I'm not really sure what it's called but goes over the bottom of the filter and around the sides and has a place to connect a socket wrench to it. Don't know what I'd do without it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts