Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

Oil filter

2K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  chulotuyo1 
#1 ·
What kind of oil filter is recomened for a 2.5 6 thanks

#4 ·
1 low mx6 said:
why is fram bad? i have always heard they were good. good thing i use the pure one i guess
Poor filter.
They tend to pool oil in them better, meaning low oil flow on startup. (Good ole cylinder #6 will love that.)
There's a great site that compares a lot of em somewhere. Fram did very poor. The Mazda one is very nice, especially for the 6 buck price.

#5 ·
Another common alternative is to use the Corvette ZR1 filter, which is larger and provide more filter area... good for those longer-term oil changes when you use synthetic oil.

As for brands, I have used Bosch and Mobil1 filters when I am feeling rich.

For those interested, the Bosch ZR1 filter that fits the MX6 is #3401, Mobil1 ZR1 filter = M1-207.

#8 ·
lordy611 said:
Anyone know who makes the Mazda filter? Curious why everyone here says they're so good.
mazda farms them out to one of the name brand oil filter manufacturers anyways.

WIX, MOBIL 1, Purolator pure 1

stick with those
Wix seems to be the best bang for the buck..lower back pressure than the pure 1.
get the upper level Wix model

#13 ·
NY_Mazda_MX-6 said:
are the Mazda oilfilters and Ford oilfilters the same ones or are they different? if they are different are the Fords any good? Its a little harder to find a mazda service shop than a Ford shop IMO.
The go Mobil one. And you can even use the Vette filter as mentioned above. I know plenty of people that say it's the way to go. I've never tried it.

#14 ·
schwinn said:
Another common alternative is to use the Corvette ZR1 filter, which is larger and provide more filter area... good for those longer-term oil changes when you use synthetic oil.

As for brands, I have used Bosch and Mobil1 filters when I am feeling rich.

For those interested, the Bosch ZR1 filter that fits the MX6 is #3401, Mobil1 ZR1 filter = M1-207.
Thats what I run :tup: its a ZR1 Moble 1 filter.

G
#19 ·
OEM mazda filters come with an anti drain back check valve eliminates dry starts, prevents oil from draining back into your crankcase during engine shutdown.
The only aftermarket 2.5 v6 filter with this valce that I know of is K&N part #hp-1010

#20 ·
chulotuyo1 said:
OEM mazda filters come with an anti drain back check valve eliminates dry starts, prevents oil from draining back into your crankcase during engine shutdown.
The only aftermarket 2.5 v6 filter with this valce that I know of is K&N part #hp-1010
ummm...every oil filter has an ANTI drain back valve.
Fram's doesn't work very well but...
It's to stop dirty oil from flowing backwards through the filter when car is off.

This valve has nothing to do with preventing 'dry starts'

G
#21 ·
I guess your right as far as other filters having the anti drainback vavle I was not aware of that. I was going by what a mazda service dept told me when I first purchased my 626 in 96.After reading fram.com and purolator.com this is only comes in applications that as required by vehicle manufacturer

but this is directly from fram.com:

Anti-Drainback Valve. Some oil filter mountings may allow oil to drain out of the filter through the oil pump when the engine is stopped. When the engine is next started, oil must refill the filter before full oil pressure reaches the engine. The anti-drainback valve, included in the filter when required, prevents oil from draining out of the filter. This anti-drainback valve is actually a rubber flap that covers the inside of the inlet holes of the filter. When the oil pump starts pumping oil, the pressure will unseat the flap. The purpose of this valve is to keep the oil filter filed at all times, so when the engine is started there will be an almost instantaneous supply of oil to the engine.

hence eliminating dry starts

#23 ·
"I guess your right as far as other filters having the anti drainback vavle I was not aware of that. I was going by what a mazda service dept told me when I first purchased my 626 in 96.After reading fram.com and purolator.com this is only comes in applications that as required by vehicle manufacturer"

Suffice it to say that probably all retail filters have the ADBValve, and it may or may not prevent oil from leaving the filter for the purpose of preventing dry starts. But doesnt it make sense to listen to the guys who cut open filters to see which ones work well and which to stay away from? You probably spend hundreds on two-tone vinyl so get off your wallet and get a good filter. It will only cost you $5 more for a great filter (I pay $3 for AC Delco or Purolator which are both held in high regard).:rolleyes:

#24 ·
For those interested, the Bosch ZR1 filter that fits the MX6 is #3401, Mobil1 ZR1 filter = M1-207
I assume this is for the LS. What are the filter numbers for the Mobil ZR1 and Bosch ZR1,if any, that fits the 4cyl?

G
#26 ·
Suffice it to say that probably all retail filters have the ADBValve, and it may or may not prevent oil from leaving the filter for the purpose of preventing dry starts. But doesnt it make sense to listen to the guys who cut open filters to see which ones work well and which to stay away from? You probably spend hundreds on two-tone vinyl so get off your wallet and get a good filter. It will only cost you $5 more for a great filter (I pay $3 for AC Delco or Purolator which are both held in high regard).:rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

Im with 100% lordy611

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.