Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was at autozone today buying some new plugs, wires and distributor parts, we went out to make sure that the spark plug socket that I was getting would fit in the spark plug recess, and he stuck it down there, and it came out covered in oil. When I got home, I checked the others for the same thing. It turns out that cyl. numbers 1,2 and 5 have the same symptom. the guy at AutoZone said that it was probably "tube seals" and that I would probably have the valve covers off to fix it. Has anybody had this happen to them? What was required to fix it. Also, I diagnosed my engine, and got the number 8, and either 2 3 or 4 codes. It seemed that the blinking of the engine light was a bit erratic. The engine starts with the key, so code 4 is not an option, so it is either 2 or 3. I am thinking that it is most likely 3, so I will inspect that some tomorrow. If you have any advice, please let me know. Thanks

·
Registered
61 Posts
click on the "search" button up there in the corner and type in "valve cover gasket"

also try "CEL codes"

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, what exactly is the "KL03?" and are we sure that it is only the valve cover gaskets? Thanks

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
KL03 is the type of engine that the v6 is in the MX6 and the V6 Probe and the 626. the gasket is most peoples problem. so, later

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yes it is your valve gaskets and the "tube seals" are an integral part of the gasket. Replace them and your oil filled plug wells will disappear. This is fairly common for our KLO3(2.5L V6) engine. Search "valve cover gaskets" in this forum and you should get more than you want.

J

·
0 Posts
It should be your valve cover gaskets. You can pick them up at any mazda or ford (probe) dealerships. If you know how to do it yourself it's really cheap, but if you have to take it in, it's gonna cost you a pretty penny, since labor is expensive. If you decide to do it yourself pick up some Hondabond at a honda dealership, or any other sealant that will withstand high engine temperatures. Also about the engine codes, did you disconnect the battery first? If you didn't you need to disconnect it for about 15 minutes prior to the diagnostic test, or you'll get weird readings, since it is confused about any readings your computer is getting since the last time the battery was disconnected.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts