Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't change my clutch when I changed my gearbox and the clutch must have oil on/in it from when my other gearbox died, so when ever I push it hard like over 6psi it just slips unless I back off and let it grip then I can floor it but.
Any ideas on what can be done without getting a new clutch? I was thinking of flushing it with kerosene, would this damage the clutch? it might get in the throw-out bearing :(

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
well that's good :)
no, it isnt. haha. its still bad zach. regardless, even if it was the rear main, its not that hard to replace it if the trannys off anyway.

TX5F2T said:
If it has to come out I may as well get a new clutch plate :/
why? if you can just clean it and save yourself $150+ why wouldnt you do that, if the clutch otherwise is fine. [I mean, if its beat to hell anyway, then yea get a replacement]. Clutch replacement isnt THAT big of a deal... are you doing your own work?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
EmX6eR said:
no, it isnt. haha. its still bad zach. regardless, even if it was the rear main, its not that hard to replace it if the trannys off anyway.

why? if you can just clean it and save yourself $150+ why wouldnt you do that, if the clutch otherwise is fine. [I mean, if its beat to hell anyway, then yea get a replacement]. Clutch replacement isnt THAT big of a deal... are you doing your own work?
i know it's still bad....but better a worn seal in a transmission than your rear main seal that can cause other havoc...lol

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
HotAss6GT said:
i know it's still bad....but better a worn seal in a transmission than your rear main seal that can cause other havoc...lol
I'd rather it be the rear main...don't have to take parts of the transmission.

-Andrew

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
xxtavixx said:
I'd rather it be the rear main...don't have to take parts of the transmission.

-Andrew
exactly. take off the oil pan [so that you can ensure a good seal] and bam, its cake. done, and done. probably as easy as a throwout bearing replacement.

[at least on the mr2].

1 - 16 of 16 Posts