Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I was just wondering if any of you have experienced pulsing acceleration (like misfire) because of oil being in the spark plug hole... #6 to be exact. I have the valve cover gaskets... as this is the reason why there's oil there. I have new plugs, wires, rotor, and cap. Do you think getting the oil out will solve my problem... could also be a timing issue as well but one step at a time... Thanks...

G

·
I had a similar problem, and found that it was the plug wires, which had been fried by all the oil in the spark plug wells. It went away with a cleaning of the plug wells and new wires, but I have more recently replaced the gaskets anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Huummmm

Well the dealership mechanic told me it was bad wires... $60 just so they could tell me that off a computer... makes me sick... So I bought a vitek wire set, cap, rotor and +4 platinums... very little improvement... Hopefully soon I'll be able to change out the gaskets and Hopefully it'll improve... the whole car vibrates upon acceleration which is completely RPM dependant... nothing like axles going out... weird... I hope it's the oil in the hole otherwise I'll have to find a real mechanic who actually possesses trouble shooting abilities WITHOUT using a computer!

G

·
Well you don't need a computer to tell you that wires are bad, but if you've cleaned out the oil with a paper towel (i'm assuming you have) and you've replaced the wires, you should have no problem...the oil wouldn't be doing that. Hmmm I dunno then. I think it's something else, but I'm not sure what.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I cleaned out the well when i put in the new wires... could've filled up with oil again by now... I may have a timing problem or injectors. They have been 2 things worked on in the past 20k miles... I got the car a couple months ago and it was a woman who had it before... wouldn't know if she noticed anything strange or not after they worked on it. she had the injectors cleaned and the timing belt changed. If one of the cams is one tooth off you'll notice it... I had this problem in a celica I once had.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm having the same problem...

I'm having the same problem and have no clue how to fix it.... so if you find out what it is you should post again.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm having the same problem and have no clue how to fix it.... so if you find out what it is you should post again.
dude this thread is seven years old tomorrow. I doubt these guys are still posting, much less, own 6s

wow i think this is the record for old post reborn

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
HAAA. i didnt even notice the date of the thread, all i saw was "jesus christ. here sence 2000 and still posting."

·
Registered
236 Posts
This might help...

Chip'sMX6,
The information you provide relies on what those guys said several years ago. So I'll assume that you have oil leaking into the spark plugs, especially noticible when you pull out the spark boots. My car had that problem all over the 6 plugs at different degrees from frankly wet to just a bit. As far as I know that's a common problem in our cars. The option you have is to replace the VCG -valve cover gaskets. Get new ones, take a look at King's write-up because there's an unbolting - bolting sequence you've got to follow for the gasket/engine head- intake manifold, as well as torque specifics. Label all the vacuum hoses in case you don't feel knowledgeable with the vacuum diagrams. If you need one, look at my threads.

Be aware of this:
- If your engine is tapping/especially in the cold, you'll have to decide to clean the HLA's, or fix the camshaft friction gear (noise). Or skip those, if none of these apply to you.
-Once you remove your intake manifold (IM), very carefully check for the condition of vacuum chambers, check valve and hoses. Having the IM out is a good opportunity to fix anything underneath it. Be careful with the chambers/solenoids nipples as these are usually baked and break easily ('been there, 'done that).
- Release the fuel pressure before removing the IM, and appropriately torque that fuel banjo bolt, otherwise you might accidentally have a fuel leakage.

Otherwise, you should be fine. Maybe I'm saying too many unnecessary things, because you've been longer in the forum than me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts