Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a bit of oil inside my new clutch slave cylinder. It's enough that if I take out the piston and tilt it, I can get it to drip out. I know a little oil is normal to protect against rust while the part is sitting on the shelf.

But should I clean this out so brake fluid is the ONLY stuff in there? Or would Wagner be smart enough to use a compatible oil - maybe the oil is in there to help protect the seal and lubricate it (since I've replaced about 5 of these slaves now, anything to make them last as long as the original part would be great.) ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I called Federal Mogul (Wagner) and they said it's "assembly lube" - duh, right - and it shouldn't have any compatibility problems with brake fluid or causing the rubber seals to swell up. However, he recommended I clean it out. I'm glad I did, the paper towel coming out of the cylinder was not only oily, it was dirty too.

The last 5 slave cylinders I've replaced were
1. El super cheapo
2. Raybestos
3. Napa
4. Some "Canadian Tire" brand (Cnd equivalent to Autozone in the us)
5. Wagner

ALL of them were in a plastic bag with a sticker showing similar numbers and "Made in Italy" - the castings look absolutely identical. The difference in price was between $19.99 (with my military discount) and over $100. Hmmmmmmm.

I'm hoping this will be the last one I change. This time, I'm using Valvoline brake fluid. Otherwise I think I will spring for the $120 Tokico parts - apparently made in Japan and what was original equipment. Those parts lasted me 15 years.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts