Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

OIL INSIDE THE SPARK PLUG HOLE???

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  BLUMX6 
#1 ·
I recently inspected all 6 sparkplugs and noticed that the 6th hole, or the top hole on the very left has oil inside of it. What causes this and why does it seem to leak inside the 6th hole like the person that posted a thread similar to mine??? Between oil changes, I didin't notice any oil loss.

Please help me out

#2 ·
The famous valve cover gasket.....

Your valve gasket need to be replaced. When they get worn out, they will leak oil into the spark plug holes. If it is on the front valve cover gasket you can slightly tighten it down, be careful as these bolts have been known to snap off. Regardless, you need to change your valve cover gaskets. They cost about $20 a piece, front one is a snap and the rear is a little more involved as you have to remove the intake, vacuum lines, etc. If you do the rear it's a good time to think about using the phenolic spacer by Sean Morgan.

#3 ·
YEP!

SURE IS YOUR VALVE COVER GASKETS. GET FELPROS. THEY REPORTEDLY LAST LONGER. MAKE SURE YOU CLEAN THE SPARK PLUG HOLES GOOD WHEN YOU CHANG EM TOO. AND WHILE YOU'RE AT IT, YOU MAY WANT TO DO PHENOLICS SINCE YOU'LL HAVE THE MANIFOLD OFF ANYWAY. MIGHT AS WELL GET SOME POWER AT THE SAME TIME.

HOPE THIS HELPS,
Nick
BLUMX6

#5 ·
hey...

I have never heard of the 'phenolic spacer by Sean Morgan'.
What is this exactly? Can you get it for the front too?
Explain? ... please?
Cya.
Claeren.
----------------
Canadian '93LS

#6 ·
Re: PHENOLICS 101

ok...phenolc spacers are inserted just like gaskets in between the intake manifold and the engine itself. they are made of phenolic plastic which does not conduct heat :D that's a GOOD thing and here's why:

your engine creates heat. lots of it. if you dont believe me, touch your intake manifold after driving for 30 minutes or more. OUCH! very hot. a manifold which is utilizing phenolic spacers can be touched MUCH longer before burning off layers of flesh. still wont be cold due to the ambient temp under the hood, but since the phenolics dont conduct heat, the manifold isn't constantly soaking up the high temps of the block. and we all know the lower the intake air temp (cold air intakes do the same thing) the denser the air. the denser the air, the more power. phenolic spacers have been proven to add a good 4-6hp. e-mail me and i'll send you the dyno plot i have on file.

the reason now is a good time to do it is cause to do your rear valve cover gasket, you must first remove the manifold.

confucious say: kill two bird, one stone, get more horsepower :D

hope this helps. if not here's sean morgans web address:
http://home.san.rr.com/scmorgan/spacers/

L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.