Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found an oil leak right in front of my front passenger side tire right behind the fender. What is it that goes there, it's obviously not leaking from the engine (thank god). All I can see is some line right there and there is oil all over the frame too. The line also looks like a metal line. I have no idea what this is. Do you guys know?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
If it's right in front of your passenger front wheel then it's probably not oil, but power steering fluid. There are some steering lines routed there, right behind the side of the bumper cover.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been told that (not by a professional) but it's obviously pure oil. It's the same texture, color and smell as oil. My car has been going through 2-3 quarts of oil a week.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Cam and Crank seals? Oil pan gasket? Coming from behind the pass front wheel? These are prone to leaking with some age.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Yeah, if it's on the passenger side, I'd guess the front main seal. I blew mine too. It's not TOO terribly difficult to replace, but, you'd better have a shop manual handy if you don't normally work on cars. If the new seal isn't put in properly, you'll tear it and then be stuck with the same problem all over again.
The front main seal is the crankshaft seal that goes behind the harmonic balancer.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
If you're talking directly in front of the wheel, sorta behind the bumper/fender on the right front corner of the car, that's power steering fluid. The powersteering cooler is there (you can see it if you pull the splash shield back), and it tends to rust (happened to me).

If the oil's on the right side subframe, where the control arm connects to, it might be the front main seal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts