Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys i have a problem. i have read up on the oil leak area on the mx6. I beleive they are the gaskets(valve cover) the oil pan( does that have a gasket?) the oil filter it self, or the oil sending unit. those would be a easy fixed right or not?

well i had my friend that know pretty much everything about cars look at it today. HE said what he thought it might be the front seal on the engine. Would that be a big job, how much would you have to take out?

What else should i look for when i look under there. i am going to change my oil and oil filter this week. i see the oil but you know you really cant tell where it starts. thank guys(Mike)

G

·
0 Posts
I've got the same problem, my mechanic said the leak is coming from the bell housing. He also said that it would require dropping the engine and transmission to replace the gasket. His next sentence was not to bother because of the cost (about $400 - 500). If you do get your's fixed, I'd be interested in your cost. Cleaning the oil stain in the garage gets old after a while.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am going to keep an eye on it and change the gasket on the car up top. and clean everything off under the car and check the oil pan and oil sending unit. later

·
Registered
257 Posts
is there oil in the spark plug wells? if so its the valve cover gaskets which can be replaced OR repaired. i did mine last week for $6 bux!

L8R
Nick

·
Registered
21 Posts
what goes into changing the valve cover gaskets?? I have some oily sludge sitting where the spark plug wires go into the engine, so I'm sure this is what i need to do? could someone get back to me, thanks!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Yep, you need to change your v'cover gaskets for sure. If it is only in the front bank, then you can tighten the cover down a little to buy yourself a little more time. Just a little though as these bolts have been known to snap if you torque em to much. If the rear has leaks, well time to replace it. The front is simple, take the v'cover off and replace the gasket. The rear is more involved as you have to take off the intake, disconnect vacuum lines and have to replace the intake gasket. Here is your homework assignment, search phenolic spacers in this forum and valve cover gaskets, you should get lot of good reading material.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Done and done... I used to want an mx-3 before i got this, so i am familiar already with sean's pheno spacers... I guess I'll tackle this over the summer, and maybe add some nice looking silicon vacuum lines too...

G

·
0 Posts
If oil is leaking from the tranny bellhousing then the rear oil seal is bad... that's where the spline goes into the engine so you need to drop tranny or raise engine :)
Just make sure its not the oil pan gasket

Take a good look around the oil pan gasket. It will leak thru with age as I had to replace the one on my LX some time ago. It used a cork gasket, which you must use care when working with... too much torque on the bolts and it will mash out and crack, too little and it will leak- get a torque wrench so you can tighten to spec.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts