Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I so far have changed my crank shaft seal, my cam shaft seal, and my valve cover gasket. Now here's the problem, I have oil all over my alternator, on the edge of my valve cover, and on my p/s-a/c belts and units. I have oil in my spark plug #1 area and there is a lot of oil on the ground after even the shortest drive. What other seals or gaskets would spread this kind of oil? Thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Well you're going to have to clean the area up and see if you can find where the leak is coming from. If it's leaking that bad, you should be able to run the car for a minute and look around for leaks. Also, did you follow the torque specs for tightening the valve cover gasket? Did you use rtv sealant in the correct places on the valve cover gasket?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RTV sealant...

I guess I don't know where the "right" places to use the RTV sealant are. I put a thin layer on the gasket before putting it in the cover and a thin layer on the head side before putting it on the head to secure it. Maybe I needed to put it thicker in some spots?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
The Mazda Factory Workshop manual says to put RTV sealant in four places: at the bottom of each of the "humps" where the cover meets the head. Also make sure not to over-tighten the bolts. The spec is about 5-10 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that you mention that...I remember looking at my seal for the valve cover. Right before I installed it, I felt a small ridge on the head side of the gasket.. right near the bottom of the jumps. But that is a lot of oil to come out from there. I drove about 15 miles today, maybe on the road for 1 hour total. I lost over 1/2 a quart. I read in an old thread about the oil pressure switch, is that a prone place to leak? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Oil Pan Gasket. :) They are "fun" to replace.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no feasable posibility that the oil in my engine bay has come from a leaky oil pan gasket.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Well, just out of curiosity, how'd the oil pump look when you replaced the crankshaft seal? It could be spraying oil. Or some think, maybe your valve cover. You will probably have to clean her up and then run it and look for leaks.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
drsjr1980 said:
I drove about 15 miles today, maybe on the road for 1 hour total. I lost over 1/2 a quart.

Was it this bad before ? .......or has it been worse since the "repairs" ? As mentioned, if you have not already done so......clean the motor for a fresh start. That much oil seepage should be easily detected after cleaning the old stuff off. Start looking for apparent leaks from the top and work your way down, along side and back of the motor.
PS: have you recently switched to synthetic oil ?........as sometimes it will find any weak sealing surface and make a mess of older motors with dried seals/gaskets.

G

·
I never use RTV sealant on my valve cover gasket. I just fingertight the bolts and them give them 1/2 turn of the rachet.

I've never had a leak.

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
FlySwat said:
I've never had a leak.
FlySwat has more humility than oil leaks

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It did get worse with the repairs. But then magik8 said that about the RTV sealant. I took off the valve cover and I could see there were little oil journals where oil was coming through between the gasket and the head on the belt end. Where the pulley rear cover and the head meet. I removed, cleaned, and RTV'd the valve cover gasket, put it back together. I'm waiting for that to cure. I shall post my results tomorrow. I did buy an oil pressure switch, just in case this does'nt fix. The oil P.S. is the only other source from oil, at least that I can think of.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts