Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh no! I went to check my oil when i got gas today (I haven't done checked it since my last oil change -- i know bad bad bad!) and it wasn't even on the dipstick!!! I let the car sit for about 10 minutes while i felt like I had just killed a baby. Once it sat for a while the oil line was half way between the bottom and the "low" mark. I added oil right away and drove straight home. Do you think I hurt my baby??? Please please advise. Also--the knock sensor has been sending trouble codes lately--does this have anything to do with it?

I feel so bad!!!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
You probably didn't hurt anything but I wouldn't make it a habit. The crankcase in some engines (not sure about these) relies on the crankshaft splashing in the oil (in the pan) to lubricate the cylinder walls. I'm not sure if that's the case with these.

Of course you could also starve the oil supply in heavy cornering or hard braking, but if you didn't trigger the oil pressure light, you're probably okay.

I doubt it's related to your knock sensor trouble code, assuming you mean that it was illuminating your check engine light by sending a code.

Tyson

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no oil light

Thanks for your quick reply!! The oil pressure light never came on, so I hope I'm ok. I will check the oil whenever I get gas now!!!

Oh, and yes I ment the CEL was going on every once in a while, I pulled the codes and it was the knock sensor.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'd say if the knock sensor is the code you're pulling, it's the knock sensor :)

If you have the V-6, it's not easy to get to. It requires removal of the intake manifold (may as well do the rear valve cover gasket then!

If you have the 4 cylinder, I am not sure where it is but I'm sure someone does.

Tyson

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
it's normal for a car to burn oil as you drive especially if you drive it really hard. Use Mobil 1 next time if you don't already. Also, i think Mike's website has what all the codes mean and the potential problems. I don't remeber off the top of my head and frankly don't want to look which I know is **** of me, but I have to study right now. I will look later for you if you don't reply!

·
Registered
169 Posts
oil burning

now I have a question: would using synthetic keep the engine from burning oil? I have a 1995 2.5 with 135,000 miles, and it has just started burning about a quart every 500. Would this at least slow it down? Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I switched to Mobil synthetic and found it increased the amount used. I now have to top off with a liter after 2000 miles. I guess it has cleaned out some crap and allowed more oil loss through tiny little gaps. I would expect it would increase your amount of oil burned too.

·
Registered
326 Posts
synthetic cleans your engine. but if your car was ever neglected and could have some junk built up, the cleaning isn't always a gradual process. if it happens too fast, it could all clog, and block up the bottom end, or top, depending on where the problem is, and cause you to have a rebuild, you may want to use an engine flush before you switch to synthetic. after that, if you're worried about leaks or cracks, it would be an opportune time to use the block-seal stuff too. I can't remember who makes it, but its in a silver can, and I know advance auto parts sells it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts