Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so what do you guys think would be wrong if when you take your plugs out, there's some oil on them and in the plug hole? Would it be the valve cover gasket or the oil rings on the piston???

Thanks and LaTeR...

:eek:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So does anyone know how much it would cost to have the vcg's replaced? And how much time? I'd probably have to change both of them...

Thanks and LaTeR

·
Registered
511 Posts
i think its about a 3 hour job for a shop to do. and the gaskets are about 20 something each. i'm guessing around $200 plus maybe? not sure as i can do it myself since i have a 4 banger :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
This opeartion costs about $400-500 with parts
obsviosly front bank gasket easy to replace, but intake manifold need to be removed to get access to rear bank.
99% you will also need new spark plug wires

G

·
I just had that done!

Hey man! I just had my valve cover gaskets replaced at a Mazda dealer, and it only cost me $291.76 CANADIAN (which I think is about $170.00 US)! I thought that this was a really good deal for parts and labour. This Mazda dealer is the best I have ever seen, and the cheapest for repairs. They replaced BOTH valve cover gaskets when repairing my car (front and back), and it runs great! Let me know if you want to know more details . . . Later.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So now Bdonkersgoed, did your car run poorly before you had the gaskets changed? Or does it make much difference? How long did it take for them to change them?

Thanks and LaTeR...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi MexySexy. Too many causes to make car runs poorly. Gasket do not affect it directly but when it seeps oil it corrupts ignition leads. This can cause rough idle and poor performance.
As temporary measure I can recommend pull out plug wires and clean it with rag; remove oil from spark plug holes, remove spark plugs inspect, clean and reinstall.

125 Posts
I purchased my gaskets for 75$ for both they only came as a set. It is very easy to replace the front gasket I would recommend doing it yourself. I had the rear replaced by a shop and they charged me 80$ labor. I am not very mechanically inclined and I had no prob. w/ the front.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had mine done abour 2.5 years ago and it cost me $280 Canadian, but I didn't have to change the plugs or wires, because it wasn't leaking really bad. It is starting to leak again, I think I am going to attempt to change the front ones myself, but I will get the shop to do the back ones. I am not doing it right now, so every once in awhile I pull the wires and wipe them clean.

How do I get the plugs out?

G

·
MexySexy said:
So now Bdonkersgoed, did your car run poorly before you had the gaskets changed? Or does it make much difference? How long did it take for them to change them?

Hey MexySexy . . . I had my car in for many repairs that day, but on my bill it said that it took them 2.5 hours to do the job. My car ran really crappy before (it actually vibrated quite badly until I got the RPMs high) and it would idle very badly. It made a HUGE difference in my case, because the oil in the spark plug chambers really screws up the performance of your car. Also, I noticed a considerable increase in horsepower, but this could be because I had many other things repaired on my car at the same time . . . I hope this helps. If you need anything else, just ask!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I never notice severe performance problems with mine, but that is because they weren't leaking too bad. If they leak alot the oil will drown the spark plugs and that will cause them to missfire, then you will notice a major performance difference because you will only be running on 4 or 5 cylinders.

SilverGhost said:
NSCanada6

To remove and reinstall plugs you need very long extension (10" or 12")
What kind of extension? I have never removed spark plugs before?

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
If you wont to see what is involved in changing the gaskets your self click on this link
Its a long "Extension bar" to get the socket down to the plug ..
Because the plugs are so fer down inside the block...Its a tool .
Mr. MX6

·
Registered
242 Posts
ok, I didn't realise that you got them out with sockets. You must be patient with me, I am still learning. :D :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts