Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1996 mazda mx-6 4 cyl

I think I have an oil pan leak cause it
is leaking way below the filter and leaks
only when the car is running! It looks like
it leaking between the crevasses of the oil pan
and I the engine! does anyone know who how to
replace the oil pan gasket?! and do I need a torque wrench
to replace it?! Please help! thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
5,189 Posts
I've read a few times that the v6 doesn't even have a gasket there, I could be wrong though. I don't know if that applies to the 4 cyl either.

As for the torque wrench, that's always a good idea.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
you shouldn't need a torque wrench to replace the oil pan gasket but having one never hurts.

I can't remember if the mx6 uses an actual oil pan gasket or if it just uses liquid gasket. Either way if that's where you think your leak is coming from its an easy fix. Drain the oil. Pull the pan (should be ~15ish 10mm bolts) and see where your at. If it takes a gasket go order one. If its just instant gasket go grab a tube and go nuts. When your putting the pan back on make sure you don't over tighten the bolts. I generally go by the rule "snug with a 1/4 ratchet" Otherwise you risk crushing the gasket. Also you may need to go around and tighten all the screws again after you go around once.

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I believe the v6 came with liquid gasket from Mazda but there are cork available on the market as well. I currently am running a cork gasket. I believe you can get them from autopartswarehouse.com.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts