Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've done some reading and by what my car is doing I seem have bad oil seals in my turbo. 1) I smell oil after I back off the gas after I have boosted. 2) I found oil around the base of the turbo to intercooler hose on the turbo (this is new).
One of my questions are:
1) Where can I find a seal kit (www.turbocity.com is down for repair)?
2) I am handy when it comes to repiars. How hard is it to replace the seals? And how long does it take (1-2 days)?
3) OR a direct bolt-on replacement like a T-bird would be as expensive as replacing the seals of my IHI turbo.

HELP!!!!!!
thanks

·
Registered
737 Posts
I would recommend getting a new seal kit(turbopimp on Ebay is a good source) and get a t-bird IHI turbo. Take the two turbos to a turbo repair shop and have them do the job right. You could probably replace the seals, but make sure the turbo is balanced. The compressor wheel and housing from the t-bird fits and the seals are for an IHI which both turbos are, so there is no problem. Plus you will have an upgraded turbo which everyone says this is a good and cheap upgrade. Seals are only like $50-60 and balancing is different, you may be able to send it out for cheaper than having it done locally.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts