Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What could be wrong if my oil warning light comes on when I first start the car then goes off after about 1 minute of driving? The engine oil level is full.

·
Registered
4,334 Posts
is it really 1 min, or is it less? It will stay on for a little bit. As soon as oil pressure builds up it should turn off. I'm guessing oil pump?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does turn off after a minute or sometimes less. Think I should get my oil pump replaced?

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
You should be up to pressure in a couple of seconds. Make sure you don't put any load on the motor till you're up to operating pressure.
Oil warning lights are nasty, the light indicates a critical situation.They are generally a last ditch effort by your car to say, "pull over right f'king now, I'm screwed."
Could be a few things, pump & big end wear being two of them.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Before taking the engine appart to do the oil pump it would make sense to hook up an Oil Pressure Guage... mind u, this is no easy task.

I have had a gauge ready to go for 4 months and still no hook up. Have tried twice and my god it is fiddly work. The O/P port is in a real bad pos!

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
crusty said:
You should be up to pressure in a couple of seconds. Make sure you don't put any load on the motor till you're up to operating pressure.
Oil warning lights are nasty, the light indicates a critical situation.They are generally a last ditch effort by your car to say, "pull over right f'king now, I'm screwed."
Could be a few things, pump & big end wear being two of them.
LOL thats the best angry engine impression ive seen! :D :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5,273 Posts
My light comes on slightly at start up less then a second and i dont like it :p

change oil and filter and she what happens try a lighter oil aswell

1 - 9 of 9 Posts