Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..
I’ve always used mobile one in my 6, Until now....
This oil change I put in Penrite HPR 15 {synthetic fortified SAE 15W-60}. Mainly because my 6 {200,000 on the clock} was blowing a tiny bit of smoke when I gave her a thrash, I could only see the smoke in the rear view mirror at night, in the head lights of the civic I just blew away. @- Anyhow this stuff seams to be good! She doesn't smoke any more.
I know it's thicker, but it reckons it has "Improved protection and lower consumption compared with ultralight viscosity oils". Do you think it is a good trade of...?. It's only a bit of smoke after all.
Actually!!! Now that I think about it maybe smoke was from the head cover leak, dripping on the exhaust {I fixed that at the same time I did the oil change, so it's hard to know what stoped the smoke}

But still what oil do you use/recommend???

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
i put that oil in.......... cant say its good, i have 199586 on the clock now. ive used Magnetech 10W/40 and no probs, no oil burning nothin. but with this one i go HLA infomous TICK, have never had it before. nex oil change 200100(god shes geting old) ill be putting Titan(fuchs) oil full synth 10W/40, should be allright as i have no oil leaks and no oil berning

·
Registered
362 Posts
I'm currently running mobil 1 , but will be changing to shell helix ultra. i used that in the previous change, and it seemed to be a little smoother. either way, they both stopped the HLA tap. i also am now using a cooper oil filter, can get them cheap ($7) and the comparison on AUSPOC says they're equal best.

·
Registered
621 Posts
SHell Helix Ultra 5w-50 - 110,000kms

Still get slight HLA noise for 20 secs or so in the morning, but no longer get the puff of blue I sometimes used to get with whatever mazda used to put in.

Where do you get your Coopers from Dave? I wonder how easy they are to get here in Vic...

A

·
0 Posts
Penrite HPR 30 (or 35? ill have to check again)

i'm having BAD HLA trouble... although with my current list of problems i don't know if its the oil or something else - i only have 147K on it....

next oil change is not for 5000 (i do every 6000)

but i think i'm going to try HPR 15.... i've used penrite in every other car and loved it - but it doesn't seem to be agreeing with the mx6.... i dunno.... got the $%^# with it just about.... might end up an expensive boat anchor...

·
Registered
672 Posts
Ive also been using Mobil 1...Ive been thinking of going an alternate oil, dont know if I should...

Is there anywhere I can look at some sort of Oil Comparisson chart??

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ric, the comparison on AUSPOC says they are available at autobahn, but my local one doesn't stock them. I get mine from a local performance shop called top gear auto. At $7 a pop, they're actually cheaper then the ryco one from super cheap!

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use Castrol Formula R Synthetic. 10W/60. Awsome stuff. have used on my 6 for about two years. my engine definatly revs a lot smoother and doesn't mind sitting up around the six grand mark. good for highway racing . just leave in fourth and hit the speed cut at 180km/[email protected]!!!!!. pity it costs $70 a container

1 - 8 of 8 Posts