Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed my oil and I found that is was 2 qts low. Do these engines tend to use oil? I have 157k miles, I don't see a cloud of blue smoke. So what's up?

·
Registered
182 Posts
dono- mine hasnt used a single drop in 9000 miles!

·
Registered
38 Posts
It could also be leaking out through the valve cover gaskets. That is the issue I have, oil leaks through the rear bank valve cover gasket onto the exhaust and it sometimes smells inside the car. Just take a look at your gaskets when you have a chance, I'm actually changing mine this spring

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It could also be leaking out through the valve cover gaskets. That is the issue I have, oil leaks through the rear bank valve cover gasket onto the exhaust and it sometimes smells inside the car. Just take a look at your gaskets when you have a chance, I'm actually changing mine this spring
Deffinately not the problem. Just changed them in November and power washed the engine. It's deffinately clean and dry.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same issue. I just had the oil changed, so I had a chance to look at it from beneath. All dry, no sign of leakage anywhere. I went through more than 2 litres over 5000 kms (approx. 2 qts over 3000 miles).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Valve stem seals can cause it. So can worn piston rings.

Tried using thicker oil? Heaps of people are crazy using new synthetic thin oils on our old engines. I'd be using no less than 10W- oil. I currently use 20W-50 and it works fine. They're older engines anyways with many thousands of kms.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Valve stem seals can cause it. So can worn piston rings.

Tried using thicker oil? Heaps of people are crazy using new synthetic thin oils on our old engines. I'd be using no less than 10W- oil. I currently use 20W-50 and it works fine. They're older engines anyways with many thousands of kms.

How's the hydraulic lifter noise with 20w-50? I'm assuming it takes a little longer to quieten down.

·
Registered
380 Posts
How's the hydraulic lifter noise with 20w-50? I'm assuming it takes a little longer to quieten down.
Actually it's very quiet and probably takes less than 30 seconds or so on cold start. When I was using semi synthetic thinner oil (10W-50) it was louder and didn't go away easily.

I would recommend slightly thicker oil on a used older engine like our K series V6s.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. I've considered a heavier oil but have wondered about the lifter issue. I'll give it a try next oil change.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts