Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was racing then after two or three runs the car starts sputtering after i sprayed but sounded fine till i let off. Well i pull off to see what's wrong check the vacuum lines etc. Then drove home every stop light it tried to stall out. There is also a weird sputtering coming from the exhaust. Got home check oil and coolent levels and to make sure i didn't blow a head gasket nothing mixed levels fine. Then checked everything over and can't figure it out HELP:(

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
squirt_0801 said:
I was racing then after two or three runs the car starts sputtering after i sprayed but sounded fine till i let off. Well i pull off to see what's wrong check the vacuum lines etc. Then drove home every stop light it tried to stall out. There is also a weird sputtering coming from the exhaust. Got home check oil and coolent levels and to make sure i didn't blow a head gasket nothing mixed levels fine. Then checked everything over and can't figure it out HELP:(
not good i suspect.. Did you lean it out at all? make sure yorue getting spark on all cylinders firstly.. then check compression.

·
Registered
744 Posts
well try pulling the codes, if you have a 93-95 and its a V6 you should be able to run the diagnostic codes and get your asnwer cause something is obivously way off. But Im guessing ignition or egr hose. Take your pick of which to check.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
Re: air to fuel

squirt_0801 said:
air to fuel did not lean out don't know what it is compression is 185 for first two 205 for second two and 215 fro third tow don't know
is this the compression done since this started happening? or older numbers?

could be somethign simple, im just going by the symptoms chris (streetthismx6) had at myrtle with his car.. car drove.. drove well.. sputtered.. but under load sputtered bad, and turns out one cylinder was a zero compression.. im not exactly sure what happened, but i remember something being mentioned about a dropped valve..

egr hose?

ive had mine disconnected (inadvertently) for a year and never had a problem.. had a bunch of vac problems too - car didnt run as quickly as it should (vris) but didnt sputter..

ignition is a very good possibility.. pull the plugs check their color... check their gap... make sure you have fuel and spark everywhere.. and you said you were spraying.. i had a friend who's car went nutso after somethign failed (solenoid? i forget) but basically made it seem like he was still spraying, but the bottle was empty.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Do a running compression check. I believe it give you an idea of how efficient the cylinders are. Anything below 75? isn't a good sign.

Can someone give me some # for a running comp. check for the 6, I'm not sure on the 75.

-Chris

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
STILL

Still have the same problem. Replaced plugs, wires, rotor, checked compression same numbers as before. No loss in power just weird noise from exhaust. stalls out at stop. any more clues

G

·
distributor

Hey men, sound like a distributor problem to me, happened to my car, i blew a head gasket, then it started doing things similar to what urs is doin.The ignitor in the distributor goes bad and the car acts like it is missin and wants to die, i would try that cause you checked everything else , but you'll have to go get it new at autozone or somewhere like that because one from a junkyard will most likely have the same problem.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I had the same problem with my car, it would start and run but would sputter out when i left it idleing. It ended up being the ignitor in the disty. Bought a used one from Hughes here on mx6.com and fixed the problem right up!

·
Registered
744 Posts
My car did the same once when I overboosted, and it was from detonation. And if you actually believe that an A/F gauge is accurate enough to tell you when your car is lean, you are sadly mistaken. If had predetonation in one of your cylinder walls then it could have possible trashed out a spark plug so it made the motor misfire. Or its possible that you have a bad fuel injector. There are tons of things that could have caused that to happen.

But if its sputtering all the time then it sounds like you got an issue with compression. I would go buy a compression tester for like $20 at autozone cuse if you have sprayed on your motor w/out checking the compression first you need smacked, and I may have to do it :D So check out your compression then report back to us.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
compression fine

compression jis fine just checked it again first 2 180 2nd 2 195 3rd 2 210 so they are fine within limits i have just put new injectors in and then finally found the prob i think has anyone seen a cracked disty not the cap the actual disty is cracked so that's what i am going to try next

1 - 13 of 13 Posts