Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This old late 80's Celica ST (I guess my car is old too :)) started trying to mess with me tonight. I almost never race anyone because I always feel guilty afterwards for flogging/abusing my car, but this kid looked like he was in highschool and I wanted to show him how slow his dumb N/A Celica was (nothing against highschoolers...just the one's who try to race everyone). So I let him get even with me, we were both going about 50-55 and I down shifted into 3rd and hit it. He got on it too and to my suprise he was pretty much able to keep up. We kept playing around letting each other get even then taking off and eventually we got onto the interstate where he just floored it (I assume) and eventually ended up getting up to around 110 (I followed him up to around 100 but quit there for fear of tickets and abusing my car too much). We both got off on the next offramp and I honked at him so he'd stop and let me talk to him. I asked him if his car was stock and he said it was but I know that is crap since the Celica ST is the basest of Celica's and only a 9 second to 60 car. He said it had 350,000 miles on it (probably someone put the Celica turbo engine in there at some point (trying to make myself feel better)) and I told him I had 180,000 on mine and he said "really? that sum-bitch'll run!" So we said bye and he peeled away like a highschooler. I guess he made me feel like I make 80's Camaro drivers feel. Oh well, my engine is stock.

[Edited by antiSUV on 01-22-2001 at 01:41 AM]

G

·
DAMN!!!!!

WOW...there's NO way it could've been even close to stock. My dad has a '92 Celica GT and I could guarantee that any MX-6 GT could totally waste it. My MX-6 w/2.5L would walk all over it, and your GT would do even more damage. The ST's have something like a whopping 102HP...even the GT (early 90s) only has 130HP. For that matter, the new GT's I believe still have only 130HP. Maybe, if possible, this ST had a 2000 or 2001 GTS engine or something??? THAT would make it move.

Anyway, GREAT race. He must've surprised you!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Good Race! It's too bad he didn't come clean about his mods, I'm interested to know what he had in there! From the sounds of it he is as fast or faster than the new celica GT! Stock? Noooo way:D

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, it was wierd

especially because he had the old pressed steel wheels on there and the thing was all faded and beat up looking. It even had the stock exauhst! Very wierd and embarrasing to have a car like that keep up with me. I'm getting my turbo rebuilt soon though so....

When I asked him if it was stock he was like "uhhhh...Yeah!!" like it took him a second to think whether or not he wanted to lie about it.

I'm guessing he was using the all-trac turbo engine. His car was like an '88 or so, not the really curvy version that came afterwards.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Depends how old it was I knew a guy who had an early 80's and was built like crazy. That was when they rear wheel drive and man would that car haul. I found pics of all celicas out on http://www.celicas.org It may help get the year.

G

·
Hey antiSUV

Why don't you turn up the boost and do some easy mods to yer GT and watch yer car jump into a whole new league of "I can't believe that eclipse GS-T hung with me" stories....

instead of i can't believe that slow car hung with my slow car stories... hehe... not trying to pick on you.. but yer are moving butt slow relative to your GT's potential of tiresmoke hell at 15PSI...

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I haven't upped my boost yet because my car has so many miles on it. I want to be sure my engine is in perfect tune before I change anything else....this means replacing my head gasket and getting my turbo rebuilt - also doing a compression test, replacing all my HLAs (to be safe), and making sure I'm not loosing oil through the valve stems. After I do all those things and get my suspension sorted out completely (I need some new bushings here and there), I will put on my grainger valve and go at it. Right now I'm more concerned with preserving longevetiy than performance.

(I may be getting a parts car soon for $200)

G

·
AntiSUV

Dude dont worry about the cars reliability... this is my second MX-6 it cost me $1250, it has 150,000 miles on it ... It runs beautiful on RACE gas at 15psi with everything in it... It wont blow up.. That engine is really strong for some reason... My friend once said ,, he doesn't know whats with this motor that works so well,, but it just does...I burn a little oil with my boost turned up, but it comes out of the turbo seal, when i turn it back down it doesn't burn any oil at all... My mechanic said that it doesn't hurt to burn a little oil... RUN HARD now and have fun... and by the way my old GT had over 200,000 miles on it before i did any mods and she ran just fine for over 2 years running 15 PSI on pump gas .... NO EXplosions or grenaded engines... Just go for it.. You will feel that the engine can handle the extra boost quite nicely.... I took a look into my cylinders with a scope today expecting tons of carbon and crap in there from the abuse, and my jaw dropped open when they appeared very shiny and clean, I think this is because of the 101 octane fuel... I can still see the shiny mill/machining grooves on the top of the pistons... it is amazing.... Now i dont know what kind of condition the valves are in but i'm guessing pretty clean too!...You know I waited for my other engine to blow for two stinkin years of abuse and it just never happened!... I don't know why.. maybe it's something called "Over Engineering" ... the 80's were a good time for japanese engines!! damn I'm proud of that car... Now the turbo is another issue,, THE bottom of the barrel IHI is in there right now. and thats a pretty shitty turbo for performing.. I'm sure it was good for factory boost though!...
Bye the way... I did break a turboshaft in half on my other mazda after 2 years of hard driving,,, I was on the freeway in 5th gear when she finally went!... I hit it in 5th to pass some dildo when it felt like a boost line blew off and then all the smoke came out the back and i thought i blew my motor but all it was was a blown in half turboshaft!... and the lubrication oil pumped out into the exhaust when she left the turbo housing!! causing more smoke than cheech and chong! on a good day!...

Even one day when I get rich (Hopefully) I'm still always gonna own AT LEAST 1 MX6 GT because it's just a special car in alot of ways, not just motor!! I couln't imagine what it was like for some guy who just bought one off the showroom floor back in 89', and then did all the engine crap to it when it was Brand New!!.. That must have been a serious kick in the Arse!!

Oh well my MX-6 GT is so fun and I still maintain that it's the fastest I can go without being noticed!!...

L8r

[Edited by brads on 02-02-2001 at 01:59 AM]

·
Registered
332 Posts
I had a real tough time beating a mid 80s celica once also. The car looked real beat up also but man could it move.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts