Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys... well fall is holding out nicely.. its beautiful out during the day (for Halloween) today it was 11 degrees.. so very nice. The forcast should be good for this next week too.

I was thinking of a meet on Thursday. Just one last meet...

but this time at 2:00 at Peters Drive in (right between Center and Edmonton Trail on 16th ave NE) [Kirk please correct me if I'm wrong I dont know the EXACT address]

that way it gives us a chance to chill out and sit down for a change.. instead of standing around.

I'll have my blue car:rocket: back from the body shop by then (ALL THE BODY WORK WAS DONE!!!! WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!):cool:

And thats far enough away for all of us to plan ahead.. I REALLY hope Chris and Kirk can make it out this time.. (PLEASE COME OUT !!!)

As well as all the other awesome people from Calgary.. Penguin.. Samol.. Lee. Shawn.. HHBL..

This should be the biggest meet this year hopefully. :D

If we do end up going to a pub later on.. pitchers are on me. {why not eh.. its the last meet for the year anyway} (but go easy:drinkup: )

what do you all think?

·
Registered
592 Posts
2 pm on a Thursday? I gotta work. Don't you guys work or have classes? :D Weekends or evenings would be better for me.What do you think about an evening meet at the indoor Grand Prix Go Kart racing track on 16th ave NE? Have you guys been there before? It's pretty fun, and I think they have a pool table and small snack bar there too.

Grand Prix Indoor Racing
2222 16 Avenue NE
Calgary, AB
T2E 1L5

Darn - scatch that... I just read on Beyond that they went out of business or were moving or something. It was a fun track to race around. Too bad they shut down.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Mad FWD drifting in the snow
I say you wait for it to snow

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^ Lol.. thats hilarious... I can't wait for the snow to hit with the new green car.

Okie dokey... how about Saturday? 2 ish?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah, I'm surprised that they closed down. It's too bad - they had a pretty good indoor facility plus computerized lap times. Have you guys been to track in West Edmonton Mall? That one's pretty good, but they don't have an overpass.

Peter's Drive-in is swamped usually. Saturday at 1 or 2 is good for me.

Hey, did you guys want to go to the shooting range instead of Peter's?

http://www.theshootingedge.com/Range/index.htm

For $33 plus ammo cost all day access, they let you choose from about 22 different guns/rifles and shoot at targets in their range. I called just now, and they provide some basic safety and shooting training for groups. They don't offer formal lessons, but they will go over the basics apparently.

I've done some practice with my friend's .22 calibre handgun, and it's a lot of fun. It would be cool to try out some larger calibre pistols or rifles.

One other idea might be to have the meet at the Calgary Archery Centre,

http://www.calgaryarcherycentre.com/index.shtml

It's $10 a person (min 8 people) for 2 hours including bow rental plus $35 (we could split the cost) for an instructor if needed during that time. They don't rent the release trigger thingies, but apparently renters get the more traditional bows so they aren't that bad on the fingers. The compound bows are murder if you've got them set really tight.
I've only been to a couple of archery lanes in Spruce Grove way back, but it's a blast to see how close you can get to the bull's eye.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm cool with whatever.. especially (big rock) brewery tours.

(big hint there!!!)

I should have the two 2300 watt RMS amps installed.. now its going to get REAL loud!!!
(Its going to be un-Godly bass this time (^_^)

Hopefully Penguin comes out with his sleeper extraordinaire.

That kart track closed down about a week or two ago.. I just noticed that.. I drove past and that go-kart that was up on that pole was gone.. so I looked closer and they're wall logo was missing too. I thought they just moved.. but I guess not.. that was fun.. really run.. You could do some mad-drifting with those things.. My best ever lap time was 36 seconds. Too bad its not around anymore.

That would have been a good place.. but hey... Big rock is still in business eh? WOO HOO!!

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Danm this sounds like it would be a good one. I have training at my new job (telus) all day saturday, I get off at 4 though if anything is happening at night.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Any place with good beer and I'm set.. where that is.. is up to everybody else.. Nelly.. is there going to be street racing again on Sat. night?

·
Registered
592 Posts
One other suggestion might be to head to Schank's or some other wing place for some food and pool. Anyone up for a game of pool? I don't drink so it doesn't matter to me, and as long as the place isn't too smokey, I'm happy.

The Schank's up in the Northwest is pretty nice. They have several pool tables there.

Here's a handy directory for wings!

http://www.wingnights.com/
I hear Juliet's Castle is good for wings. I've been to Bubblemania which is pretty good too plus they have other dishes and bubble tea drinks. No pool tables there though.

I ran across some other wing places in this thread:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=95597

Also, I've noticed a few other Calgarians around the forums. Feel free to join in on the meet! Just post a hello here if you'd like to get together and chat.

·
Registered
352 Posts
HHBL said:
I've only been to a couple of archery lanes in Spruce Grove way back, but it's a blast to see how close you can get to the bull's eye.
Hehe, I saw that archery range yesterday. Neat

I should have no problems attending thursday or saturday, hooray!

Edit: Juliet's Castle isn't bad for wings. Also, I like playing pool (getting my ass kicked at pool)

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Penguin_Racecar said:
(getting my ass kicked at pool)

haha... so I finally have someone on my (horrid) level.. lets see how fast you can beat me... I am the worlds worst pool player ever!!!!!

Glad to see your coming out.. great to see you again

·
Registered
592 Posts
Again, call me a stick in the mud @- , but ah, did you guys hear about those two 22 year old guys who died in that Acura Integra racing a Mustang?

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2005/10/31/1286037-sun.html

Look for the picture in the Sun newspaper. Squished Integra roof, blood stains, and all. Street racing? Yeah, it's not a good idea. No, really. :tdown:

Niels - you saw the Archery range in Calgary or the one in Spruce Grove? I haven't been to the Calgary one, but it's supposed to be two levels. The one in SG just west of Edmonton has a cool video wall where you shoot blunt tip arrows at the screen where they are playing videos of animals walking around in the wild. It shows you afterwards where your arrow hit the screen and where the ideal bulleyes was. It's kind of like those golf simulators.

Anyhoo, it sounds like pooooool is on the agenda then! (Gotta shine up my Balabushka - hehe naw, I'm not really good at pool either so we can all scramble for the cueball as it hops off the table) You guys don't like firing live rounds??? Sigh... it's a blast, literally!

Okay, we need to narrow it down to where's a good, not so smokey pool place without too long of a line up for tables. Too bad Thrasher has that course on Saturday. Geez, he changes jobs more often than I change my undies! 8D We could have the meet maybe Saturday night, but it might be a trick to find a place that's not packed.

How about this place:

http://www.stix-billiards.com/Stix%20Billiards%20Calgary.htm

Info from:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=97216&highlight=pool

Could some of you other guys maybe put some replies in about what times are best for you or suggestions so we can narrow things down? It might be best in the afternoon so the place isn't too crowded. I bet Saturday night will be a zoo anywhere we pick.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was in Spruce Grove yesterday, that's where I saw the archery range.

As for the meet. If it's saturday afternoon I could probably stay for a good 4-5 hours (cruise/pool/whatever). In the evening I could stay a few hours, but I'd be bringing the woman along. I'm sure you could beat her at pool Graham :D

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I want to road trip out there.
I reallllllly wanna road trip

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
street racing is for odiots

HHBL said:
You guys don't like firing live rounds??? Sigh... it's a blast, literally!
Some guys don't, maybe.

I sure do.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts