Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey, i was curious about htese KLZE engines, i have been looking into them over the last month (since i bought my car) and alot of the sellers say "We will not be held responsable for smog test failures" i was just curious if maybe the JDM engines put out more emmisions? or is this somethign they just say to cover their asses incase of un-maintained/tuned engines?

anyone who has the ZE motor in Ontario.. does yours pass emission tests everytime? or does it require anything?
I rememebr a while ago.. i heard something about a loophole if the engine you have installed is bigger than what is stock, you can get around emission testing? anyone think the jdm engine would count (nice try but you never know)

any help is appreciated...

While i have your attention, i read something about the JDM Transmissions... someone said they have LSD? is this true for ALL JDM engines? im looking at a 5 speed.. would it have this or were they dealer addons in Japan or what?

Sorry. 1 last thing.. KLZE ECU's.. i hear these are NOT plug and play? if this is true, how are they installed? splice all wires?.. just curious if our canadian plugs will connect to the ECU, if not why?
how much loss will i suffer witht he stock ECU?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
70 Posts
ecu

The ZE should pass emissions as long as all your 02 sensors and everything else is good. As far as the ecu goes, if you are not going to do a full swap including the ecu, then dont bother with the ZE, the 03 setup is better then just dropping in a ZE motor. As far as the tranny goes, no they dont have lsd, the one you heard of comes off another mazda car, I dont remember the name right now, but you should be able to find it by doing a tranny lsd search, thats how I foudn out. And as far as I know the ecu is the same wirring harrnes but double check that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I not sure but you can try and get it to pass as a hot rod status,
I got that done for my Rx7TII it used to be just a GXL but swapped the motor to a 13bTII eng.I had a receipt so they did and everything for the motor with the Vin## which is important cause they have to send both Vin##s to the MTo office.Your insurance will be a little higher with a hotrod title.Thank good I moved to Quebec last year no e tests here, but insurance and safety is a different issue..We only get one 3day temporary and the only some goverment issued placed takes care of the safety.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I passed a year and a half ago with flying colours... and that was with the origional cat that saw bout a year of oil burning!
The ZE works great WITHOUT the ecu... much quicker than a few friends stock MX6's. One of these days I may get one, as long as I bypass the speedo limiter!
Anyways, a fresh oil change, a tank of 94 octane, and a nice hot motor and there should be no problems passing.
Oh yeah... Hot Rod Clause does not apply... engine must be of a different dispacement.... a swap from a 4banger to a 6 might count, but a Jspec motor is still a 2.5 V6

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mr. L...do some research and then tell us that a ZE with no ecu is no faster...do some research...there are people running some damn fast times on ZE's with no ECU's

·
Registered
600 Posts
now that ZE issue was brougt up, where do we get these engines here in ON? installation??
i live in windsor, and i wouldn't mind driving to Montreal as well, if it's really cheaper!?!?

how much is this swap aproxx.?? if someone could break up the prices - engine+ecu+tranny + labor!

thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I havent found a place to install them, but me and a buddy were going to get a garage and basically use it to work on our cars.. i was either thinking about swaping it myself next winter (and buy a beater so i dont have to do it on a weekend) or my step dads friend owns a garage, he said he'll take a look at doing it if i dont need the car for a while.. (again winter beater)

as for getting the engines.. i have been checking out Ebay, anyone will ship them to you.. but duty will kill us if we buy american...
so ive been looking at those Montreal importers.. but i recently found a few places near or in Toronto that do it... when i find some names of companies i'll post them here..

Also. Just search EBAY.COM for KLZE and see what comes up... or even "MX6 JDM" then check the location for canadian cities

P.S. EBAY.CA is not always good. because those guys post on .com so they can get more customers i think.. they offer international shipping

·
Registered
600 Posts
ok, thanks!

the reason i asked about the ZE in ON, or Qubec is because, i talked to someone here on this board...few months ago, i dont remeber with who...but anyway, he lives on Florida and he bought the ZE from Quebec. I thought americans had better deals. He bought it for like 1100 american...he gave me the site, but i formated the hard drive and lost it :(

·
Registered
497 Posts
slayer1011 said:

as for getting the engines.. i have been checking out Ebay, anyone will ship them to you.. but duty will kill us if we buy american...
Tell me about it! ****ing corkysport or feddex sent papers to customs and now im paying for all the nice toys I got from there.
:damnmad:

·
Registered
70 Posts
ze

relli41- what do you consider fast, just a ze swap will do nothing in my opinion, and first hand research is what I have, I don’t need to read what someone makes up about what times they run with just a ze motor swap. A basic ze motor causes more problems then good and unless you know how to tune it properly, then the 03 is a better way to go. How much horse do you think you gain from just dropping in the motor? Have you seen it dyno proven?. If you think this is wrong, prove it, post some time slips that show how much better the ze is and I will agree with you, don’t tell me to research what someone else says that the motor does, until then I'll keep my 03. Most people just do the ze swap to say that they did it, even though I love my 6 I will be the first to say that if you are looking for the fastest possible car and you are willing to swap motors to get it then you may want to look for another ride, people looking for real power don’t need a ze they need more cash and something light with a big turbo :D . Check out jenracing.com if you want to get a feeling of what I mean.

And if your looking for a ZE in Toronto they go for about $1200+tax, and I have seen then as cheap as $1000 +tax from importers with a start up warranty, so just keep calling around.

Thanks

·
Registered
269 Posts
for a klze and install check out A-Spec Performance. its in brampton i think.. not far from toronto. its mainly an rx7 shop, but they can do wonders to a 6.. the guy i talked to there, quoted me about 3000$ installed for the ze with ecu and mx3 vaf/maf whatever you call it.. dont know the number but i know they have a website.. try that maybe?

cheers

·
Registered
517 Posts
Re: ze

Mr.L said:
relli41- what do you consider fast, just a ze swap will do nothing in my opinion, and first hand research is what I have, I don’t need to read what someone makes up about what times they run with just a ze motor swap. A basic ze motor causes more problems then good and unless you know how to tune it properly, then the 03 is a better way to go. How much horse do you think you gain from just dropping in the motor? Have you seen it dyno proven?. If you think this is wrong, prove it, post some time slips that show how much better the ze is and I will agree with you, don’t tell me to research what someone else says that the motor does, until then I'll keep my 03. Most people just do the ze swap to say that they did it, even though I love my 6 I will be the first to say that if you are looking for the fastest possible car and you are willing to swap motors to get it then you may want to look for another ride, people looking for real power don’t need a ze they need more cash and something light with a big turbo :D . Check out jenracing.com if you want to get a feeling of what I mean.

OK Mr.L...well the first time I took my car to the track after the ZE swap...with stock 03 intake manifold...stock ecu...and stock vaf sensor...but with an intake and no cat...stock piping and ****ty worn out tires my car war 15.3 at 92 mph...but the key here is i couldn't drive it...even after i got better at driving and did a catback exhaust my car ran 15.1...but i still wasn't a great driver...my friend who had never ever drivin my car before emmidiately ran 15.0 in it...and said he felt like it had a lot more...The thing I am trying to say is...how many people run 92 mph trap speeds on 03's with an intake and no cat? I don't know of any my self...but maybe you could show me some...oh and with an 03 mani 03 ecu and 03 vaf no cat, 2.25 piping and an intake on 91 octane gas made 153 horsepower at the wheels...if you like i could scan some time slips and dyno sheets if you want.

Jim

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just got my ZE swap done in the Summer from A-spec. Along with it I got a high flow cat, and brospeed headers, Vibrant exhaust, and a ceramic 6 puck clutch. But with those mods, I'm getting around 7 sec 0-60 timed. Albiet, I have a system, I'm using all seasons, and I had someone in the car. The ZE w/o the ECU will give me an extra 15-20HP. The j-spec ECU gives you 10-15 HP. I'm able to very slowly pull on RSX-S on the highway. Its a very good swap for the money, especially considering all the bolt-on's you can do afterwards.

I did not on the other hand, pass the E test. I was reading twice the amount of the limit. I changed both O2 sensors, not even putting a dent in the numbers. After researching, I found out that the KLZE does not have an EGR valve used for emissions recycling. This is key if you wanna pass the E-test.

I don't know how you other guys passed it, but if you have any secrets, please let me know! For now, its the ol-fake E for mE!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Re: ze

Mr.L said:
, people looking for real power don’t need a ze they need more cash and something light with a big turbo :D .
As my Buddy Vlad would say "People who dont know anything about cars talk about big turbos".

Also are you a freakin tool there is a reason why so many people do the swap... POWER.... FASTER CAR..... POWER. I dont know about you but there aren't many other ways to gain 15-20 Horse for just over $1000. So you take your 03 and race Jim(Pirelli41). Then you can tell me that a ZE swap isnt worth it and that it does nothing. @-

Oh ya also every bolt on that can go on the 03 will go on the ZE, so you find me a non-turbo, non-NOS 03 that will run 12's, cuz I can show you a ZE that is non-turbo, non-NOS that will.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well justin your always talking about throwing a T88 turbo on cars.
Also you can build an o3 just the same, you just need to boost the compression ratio.
Its all in how you look at it
To be honest tho i didnt read this whole post so i dunno whats going on, i just replyed about the "turbo" comment

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ya but I always joke about that Like when I always tell Vlad to but the T88 on it, and such, and boosting compression ratio wont get you the same power, cuz you can also boost the compression ratio of a ZE.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Mr.L where did you go? I replied to your post and you never came back!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts