Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got a Xedos 6 2.0 V6, and i'm curious how the two cooling fans by the radiator should work.

The one on the drivers side, goes on and off in cycle with the A/C.

But when the engine gets hot the same fan will cycle on. The one on the passenger side goes on when the engine gets too hot. (i've tested this with an potentiometer connected to the cooling van sensorconnector)

Both fans have 4 wires going to them, so they should be of the two speed types. But i've only seen one speed from them.

Does anyone know....how they are supposed to work.

Greetings,

Emile

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i think there are 2 powers and 2 grounds...

not sure tho

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
emilek said:

Hello,

I've got a Xedos 6 2.0 V6, and i'm curious how the two cooling fans by the radiator should work.

The one on the drivers side, goes on and off in cycle with the A/C.

But when the engine gets hot the same fan will cycle on. The one on the passenger side goes on when the engine gets too hot. (i've tested this with an potentiometer connected to the cooling van sensorconnector)

Both fans have 4 wires going to them, so they should be of the two speed types. But i've only seen one speed from them.

Does anyone know....how they are supposed to work.

Greetings,

Emile
Emile,

I'm not sure about the 2.0L V6, but in the 2.5L V6 in the MX6 works something like this:

- cooling fan low-speed relay comes on when the coolant temp reaches 100oC. Also comes on when coolant is below 100oC and A/C is in use
- cooling fan high-speed relay comes on when coolant reaches 108oC or when either of the ECTF (93 model) or ECT (later model) sensors has failed
- condenser fan low-speed relay comes on when the A/C is on and the coolant is below 108oC
- condenser fan high-speed relay comes on when the A/C is on and the coolant is above 108oC
- both high-speed relays will come on when the coolant reaches 108oC or when the A/C refridgerant pressure reaches 213 PSI

I would think the still-KL-based 2.0L V6 would be the same or close.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Mike,

How good can you hear the difference from an cooling fan running at low speed or high speed?

Tested the fans by connecting a 470ohm potentiometer to the ect wiring connector, but I for my ears the fans are either on or off, no low speed/high speed.

But the fans have four wires going to them sugesting two speed types.

Gues I'll have to get to the ecu, and test it directly by connecting the various fan pins to gnd. (and maybe install a beeper to inform me when engine is running hot (==both fans on high))

Greetings,
Emile

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
emilek said:

Hello Mike,

How good can you hear the difference from an cooling fan running at low speed or high speed?
One way would be to generate a code 9 while the engine is running and the fans are already on. Start the engine and let it heat up until the fan comes on. Then pull off the ECT connector to generate a code 9. Under this condition, the PCM should turn both fans on high. You should be able to note the difference then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts